1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newest Creation: Pull Behind Sidewalk sprayer

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Plow man Foster, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Well guys Just got a new account. Informed them that i can reduce their salt price by using liquid over Rock When possible. Now This wont be used on the lots we have a truck that does that. But for the sidewalks we will be using this.

Its a pull behind sidewalk sprayer. I had everything at the shop except for the Fimco (yellow) 2.1GPM pump which i got off ebay for $30 bucks new.

The other pump is a NorthStar 1GPM

Chinese LED's on the back for safety! :rolleyes:

Already had the Cart used it as a Dirt hauler on one of my 70 yard mulch jobs.

Sprays/ Drops 3' Across Equally..... after that it gets spotty.

Might end up getting a bigger tank for it though.

needs paint! Maybe i'll get to it.....one day.

This will be pulled by One of our Quads that will be on-site.
    Any thoughts or questions??

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That's pretty cool and looks practical. Could be a great prototype. I love home made stuff.

As soon as I saw it, I thought of "flux capacitor".

5 gallon buckets are awesome and rank right up there with vice grips and duct tape.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

How many sidewalks does this place have?
  4. Plow man Foster

4 sidewalks about 800 Ft total
    So a bigger tank will be needed. But the 5 gallon Bucket worked well for thee experiment.

Next door has 4 more.
  5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Bust out the welder and make a nice stable cart
  6. Plow man Foster

Hahha I didnt feel like it! I already had the cart. Has Pneumatic tires so its perfect for all terrain.

Forgot to mention everything is self contained. I can pull the sprayer stuff off and just use the flat part of the cart. Made is a somewhat skid mounted sprayer. Everything can be removed in a matter of second if i need to haul bags of salt or something. I've already had 750 pounds on this cart before without it breaking so im happy!
  7. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

Hey guys can you use this stuff on limestone and concrete steps?
  8. Plow man Foster

Yeah I use Brine/ liquid salt/ Calcium Chloride on Concrete all the time. Never had a problem. Now New concrete is different. its Really hard to say. I go with what ever the customer says they want and make sure im not held accountable.
  9. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

thanks. i guess i will keep searching. i was kinda looking for a pre-treater for 3 sets of steps on this one job.

last year i just passed buy the night before the snow and put out some calcium chloride on the steps and it helped the snow not stick so bad. the bad thing with that is if the tenants weren't all home they would move it so it wasn't were it needed to be most. one time one tenant even swept the steps clean. :dizzy:

just trying to find a spray that won't move from where i put it ;-).
  10. Plow man Foster

Then brine is what you need.
    Brine will be the same thing Your CC did. If it snows on top of the brine it will belt as much as it can.

but if you get 2 inches of snow all it will do is prevent the snow from bonding to the surface.
    So you end up with a wet layer of now, better known as slush then x amount of snow on top of it.

Opposed to Snow bonding to the surface which then make is hard to scrape clean, Which results in Ice!
  11. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

Thanks again. I just did some research on brine making and will definitely give it a shot this year.

Time to do more searching and learning.