1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newer Trucks with TPMS

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Silverado10923, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Silverado10923

Silverado10923 Member

Anyone figure out how to bypass, change or overide TPMS. I cannot stand the Big Brother additions to my new 2010 Silverado. The TPMS requires 80lbs rear and 60 lbs front psi. I like to drop the pressure when empty or plowing and then have to deal with the obnoxious light and messages!
    I also hate the auto door lock feature which can only be changed from activating at 8mph or when shifted into drive. Hate It! My 02 could be turned off.
    I contacted Chevy about these, the dealer and corporate, they both say they cannot change either. F the gov. requirements! Anyone have a way around???

2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

This might be good to ask on Dieselplace as well. Im sure someone can help you.

3. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

I would think you could get a "delete" for it of some sort. Maybe not?

4. Silverado10923

Silverado10923 Member

I am told this is a federal mandate. No delete, they will not even change the required psi the alerts are set for.

5. yamahatim

yamahatim Senior Member

6. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

I know the dealer can do it on my 08, they can lower the psi of the tpms but alot don't want to do it, not sure about the doors.

7. SnowJersey

SnowJersey Senior Member

take the tpms valve stems off and transmitters and replace them with normal valve stems. then get a small piece of pvc and put caps on both sides with a air inlet and pressurize it to 80lbs and keep it somewhere in the truck so it recieves the transmiters

8. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I also hate the auto door locks but at least fords unlock with the door handle, it just sucks when you hop our and need in a back door. God luck with the tpms, thats a tough one..
    My other "can't stand" is the seat belt dinger. thank god ford has the way to turn it off printed in the owners manuel

9. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

That's what I was thinking too. Just a dummy tank to trick the sensors.

I wonder if you could use an old camping propane bottle too, but the PVC might be better as it won't corrode.

10. SnowJersey

SnowJersey Senior Member

yup, i know a few people that do it with the nissans. You gotta keep that pvc tube in the car though so the truck still recieves the transmitters.

11. Silverado10923

Silverado10923 Member

Thanks for the dummy tube idea. I am going to try that. Do you think regular pvc glue can hold the 80psi?

12. hondarider203

hondarider203 Member

use cpvc or copper or something along the lines of water lines it is made to hold that kind of pressure regular pvc is only desind for about 10-20 lbs when i was doing plubming we tested water lines at 80-100lbs the vent and drain lines only got tested up to about 5-10lbs. or you could use steel pipe or even pex new flexable water line

13. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Heck ya. Just use primer on both the tube and cap, apply glue to both the tube and cap and when you put them together just twist it as much as possible until it stops.

14. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Dodge also has a switch to shut off the TPMS sensors for lower PSI, came out in 07/08. Definitely s*cks having TPMS, half the time they are malfunctioning.

15. sid6062

sid6062 Member

I was told you can turn off TPMS, but it's not cheap! Superchip! I was told it has a program you can download to shut the TPMS completely off. Might want to do research and confirm though.

Im thinking about buying a superchip because my nitto trail grapplers only say 65 psi in the rear....how the hell do I get 80 psi in there without messing up my tread wear...

16. PlowTeam5

PlowTeam5 Senior Member

Just go to a car shop that does performance upgrades and have them turn it off with EFI live or some sort of tuner.

17. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

I have my whole shop plumbed with PVC. All the air lines are running 160 psi - ALL the time! And I just run regulators at each air outlet. PVC is very strong - just clean and glue carefully.

18. hondarider203

hondarider203 Member

sorry my mistake i was always told it wouldnt hold that kind of pressure are you sure its not CPVC

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

There is no way to turn it off on a GM truck but all you have to do is go to your dealer and they will us a Tech 2 and lower your pressures to where you want. I have EFI Live and it will not do this.