1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newer Chevy 1500's (Issues?)

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bolensdriver, Oct 15, 2004.

1. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

I've heard a lot of the Chevy 1500's are having front end problems, and it's costly when it needs to be repaired. I know of like 6 people in my town having this issue. And they say other's are having problems.

Anyone on here have any problems? I love the looks of the 1500's, but I'm not sure if I'd want to buy one, if they do have those problems.

Thank-you,

Sincerely,
    Jake

2. bobingardner

bobingardner Senior Member

Can you describe the problem? How many miles on the trucks? What year(s)? I have about 4k on my 2004 Silverado and so far have not had any problems. It seems like a well built truck to me.

3. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

These were around 2001 thru 2002.

And an autobody man also said he see's a fair bit of the new '03's in there quite a bit. I'm unsure of the 2004 though.

Sincerely,
    Jake

4. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

The only thing I know of is something I have experienced with my wife's 2002 Tahoe (same front end). It has a noise in the front end when you go over bumps. It sounds like something suspension wise is loose. The actual problem is either a bearing or a joint in the steering shaft. It is not a safety issue but more of an annoyance. GM is replacing them under warranty as soon as they can get the updated part inthe pipeline. Other than that I know of no other problems with them and I have a pretty close relationship with my dealer (they keep me pretty well informed - I used to work for them)

5. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

None for me

Bought mine new in 02. Made it through two Alaskan Winters and has been in the shop only once to lube the steering shaft. Was making a clunking noise and ended up being the steering shaft needed to be lubed and repacked. All I've done so far is change fluids regularly and I use Mobile 1 synthetic....ohhh and put in a LOT of Fuel :angry: .... over $2/gal now :gunsfiring:

I have many friends with Chevys...never heard of any front end problems other than the usual (CV Joints, tree jumped in the way, etc...) :nono:

Just put in those Timbrens today...boy that was a bit of work but worth it. :nod: The front doesn't sag at all now with the plow.

John

6. salopez

salopez Senior Member

Duplantisjj
    do you really have no sag now? i put my timbrens on a few weeks ago so i have never had the plow on without them. i am still getting a good bit of sag. I am wonderig if its due to the extreme wieght of my plow at almost 800 pounds?
    thanks

7. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

2004 1500, 3,109 miles, no problems. :drinkup:

Check out www.gmtrucks.com or mychevytruck.com
    Both good sites for chevy and GMC truck info

There is a problem with earlier models intermittent steering shaft. The dealer will fix this at no cost. There's a GM TSB for it.

8. Duplantisjj

Salopez....I just posted pics of of my truck with the new plow on....It's in the pic forum under My New Boss. I measured everything up before we put the plow on and it now measures about a half inch lower with the plow raised and with Timbrens than stock before the plow. My plow weighs about 642 Lb. Boy, I had the plow for one day without Timbrens and it dropped down LOW... :eek: I have a steep driveway and the plow actually scraped bottom pulling in and out. Not anymore... :D

9. Duplantisjj

Gm-Trucks Forum

Hey Badluck.....that GMtrucks link is actually www.gm-trucks.com

Great web site...there's tons of info there about GM's.

John

10. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Absolutely man. Tons of useful info and links. :drinkup:

11. rg123g

rg123g Junior Member
    from MASS

my 2000 K1500 ext cab

I just got a 2000 K1500 z71 ext cab. My question is how was the fisher plow with your truck and how much did the plow weight. I am in the market for a plow for it and was wondering.

Thank you

12. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

rg123g - I haven't gotten my plow yet. Truck side mounts are on B/O :realmad:

I did order the Timbrens to though. The approx. Weight of a fisher 7.5 set up is 630 lbs. There are guys on this board running heavier plows with no issues. Timbens a MUST!!!

Good luck.