1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newcomer question...Wiring new lights/how to...

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by koolhand, Dec 3, 2003.

1. koolhand

koolhand Junior Member

I am getting into a used western 7.5 plow tomorrow. All serviced and, after some welding to extend frame to fit my 84 F-250, will be mounted and pushing snow. If it ever comes.

I have not wired a plow before. What needs to be done? Splicing I am sure but how and where to splice? Also, what's the best place to run the controls into the cab?
    Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks-Luke

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Wiring isnt that bad, the only splicing you have to do is to the marker and turn wires just behind the bulbs. Keep the motor relay (solenoid) close to the battery. The relays just behind the drivers side headlight. On the fire wall, just left of the brake booster (as your looking into engine compartment) there is a oblong shaped black plate/cover, perfect place to drill a 5/8 hole and run your wire through. The red wire that will be in the cab can be tapped into a keyed hot fuse in the fuse panel.

You can go to westerns site and down load the directions and wiring schematics also.

3. koolhand

koolhand Junior Member

That really helps. So the 5/8ths hole is for lights hot-wire (red) only. What about the controls?

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

The 5/8ths hole in the firewall will be for the control wire (has white square plug on end), the red wire with the inline fuse will go to a fuse in your fuse panel that is hot when the key is on. Make sure you use dielectric grease at the terminals for the relays and where you pick up your turn and marker wires.