1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newby with an oppurtunity

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Alco, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Alco

Alco Junior Member

Hello to everyone,

I have an oppurtunity to get into this exciting yet challenging industry and at the moment i am researching and learning as much as i can before proceeding.
    I am in talks with several custumers ( small commercial lots and factories ) and i have several questions.
    I own a 99 gmc 3500 diesel 2wd srw. Its a single cab utility truck that i use for landscaping purposes in the summer.

I would like to know what kind of plow would be best suitable to handle small commercial work. v, straight blade, poly or not. and what kind of prep work will my truck need.

Thanx to everyone that replies.
  2. randyo156

randyo156 Junior Member
    from Buffalo

if your truck is like mine
    02 chevy 3500 dually
    it sucks in the snow w/o 4wd
    unless its tailslide competition day
  3. Alco

Alco Junior Member

Its a single rear wheel.
  4. Alco

Alco Junior Member

I realize that srw is not the best idea, but it seems that it can be done. I will also have chains
    in the truck at all times and a winch mounted on the rear just in case. I should probably put on snow tires aswell. lol

Anyone use ruber chains before? http://www.flextrax.com/howitworks.html
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You WILL need 4 wheel drive at some point.
    Maybe get a sander and alot of weight in the back to help.
  6. Alco

Alco Junior Member

I have a tailgate sander/spreader purchased allready ( roughly 500 lbs capacity) and weight will be aded (aprox 900lbs).
    However i dont know yet just whitch plow i should put on it. there are so many choices and even more factors to consider. Just how big of a plow can this truck handle?

Heres a pic of one of the sites. My only concern with this site is the loading dock.

7. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

OK, in your case your biggest problem is going to be getting enough traction when your pushing snow across big lots. Your gonna need a lot of wieght in the back, and I'm gonna assume that being capable of sanding the lots would be an advantage to you, so I think you should by a sander. That will add a lot of weight over the rear wheels. You would probably be fine with a regular straight blade. The poly blades are good but they DO break. It rare but it does happen. Your truck can physically carry a really big plow, but I think you would be fine around 8 or 8 1/2 feet.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  8. Alco

Alco Junior Member

and here's a pic of the truck

9. Marbleman

Marbleman Senior Member

Your biggest problem is going to be getting stuck in that loading dock when you are plowing (just back down it when salting). You may want to consider getting a 250 (or larger) with 4x4, and get yourself a 2 yd sander for the back of your existing dually, because once you put a plow on the front of it you will need more weight for the back.
  10. randyo156

randyo156 Junior Member
    from Buffalo

I see trouble in the docking area too
    it will be hard to push or pull snow out w/o 4wd
    good luck
  11. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Depending on how much money you foresee raking in over the winter, you could just invesst in a piece of crap 4x4 that already has a plow on it. Go on craigslist and look around. And if thats Skidsteer thats on the trailer in that pic belongs to you, use it to your advantage around that loading dock!
  12. Alco

Alco Junior Member

the skid steer is a JD317 with a heated cab however it is only a single speed. i will try and get a few more contracts in the imeadiate are so i can just alocate the skidsteer to that area and use the truck for flat lots.

anyone ever use rubber chains or studs for the tires?
  13. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

You are wasting your time with a 2wd single real truck as a plow truck. I would just get a 8' protechs snow pusher for your skid steer and just tow it site to site with your 2wd with a lot of weight in the back.
  14. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

That skidsteere would probably be better for plowing than that truck, no offense. It is just that if it were me, I would use a 4x4 for plowing. There is a lot less chance of getting stuck. Plus during storms, if you need to get towed out, the tow trucks are always booked because of the stupid idiots that don't know how to drive in the snow.
  15. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with most what others said... Ive always done fine using my 91 F150 and snow blowers to clear residential driveways, even going around prior to the roads being plowed,, BUT, you get ONE storm where the snow is higher than your truck can manage with 2wd and your done, been there done that. Tried to "plow" through a street with 20"+ of fluffy stuff and just made a big pile in front, with my bumper :(

That sure sucked, with all the weight of a plow on the front it doesnt help much either, not to deter ya, but like the others said, id use the skid steer or use a snow blower or buy the cheapy used 4x4 truck with an old plow on it for the meantime.