1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newby here...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cda, Sep 19, 2004.

1. cda

cda Junior Member
    from Idaho

Greetings all! Great forum....
    I'm thinking about getting a Hiniker "C" plow (new). Anybody know/experienced much about them? Dealers (obviously) think they're the best thing since sliced bread, but I'm a little concerned about things breaking with the blade backdragging.
    BTW, I plowed last winter 3.5 miles of road for our road association and a few other small jobs with a Snowman rear blade on a 98 F-150 4x4. Deeper snows (that I plowed)on the mountain here were between 12-18 inches, and the Snowman did a pretty good job. I'd recommend it. Even had a lady slide into it at a light and WRECK the frame, but welding shop built a new one for around $400.00. (She paid for it).
    This year, I bought a F-250 SD 6.0 Diesel 4x4 Crew. I want to buy the new plow and use the Snowman on the back as well. Hoping it makes a really good plowing set up for me. Any comments on this would be much appreciated.
    Chris

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Welcome cda/Chris. I don't have experience with the C-plow, so won't comment on it's performance. But I got to thinking about your situation and I wondered - "Why do you want a C-plow if you already have a backplow?" Anything you would use it for, you could just back into, drop the backblade, pull forward 15' or so, back up, drop the front plow and push away. You'd save time over using any front plow to backdrag. Besides saving the initial expense - if I remember right from when I looked at one, they're about $500 higher than a comparable straight blade.

3. cda

cda Junior Member
    from Idaho

Mick,
    One of the things I don't like about the rear mounted plow is having to look over my shoulder every time I back up, (know it sounds dumb) but using a rear mounted plow, you back up a hell of a lot. Seems like it would be a lot easier to just pull up to the garage, lower the blade and back away far enough to leave a pile that can be pushed off.
    As to keeping the back blade, I was thinking (maybe wrongly) that the Snowman might do a better/quicker job than dragging just the front blade, especially around corners. Most of the plowing I do is on dirt roads, but hopefully this year I start getting a few more jobs in town.
    I can get the Hiniker for $3700.00, plus install. Gotta drive a LONG way to do it, but I want to do the right thing here and once only please. I thought seriously about a V-Plow but a lot of the people I talked to said that with the diesel in my truck V was too heavy, so at that rate I started liking the Hiniker.

4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

CDA
    I have used a old Western many years ago and that was ok. I now have a Curtis snow pro 3000 that I love,simple to get on and off and it has a foot jack to keep it at the right height for install back on the truck. The Blizzard is also a plow that I would look at.

Regards Mike

5. cda

cda Junior Member
    from Idaho

Mike
    Thanks for the comments.
    I liked the Blizzard, too. Seems like a really beefy one, fairly heavy. I keep going back to the Hiniker for the backdrag bit. I don't know if you've seen it or not but almost the entire blade flips over hydraulically and uses another moldboard to drag, pretty good looking design, I just don't know if it holds together or not.
    On a sidenote, we moved out to Idaho from Novi, just south of you in 1998.
    Still love the Lions (1st place in the NFNN as of today!!!!) and still hate the bugs and slush around Michigan....