1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by boston68, Jul 21, 2009.

1. boston68

boston68 Junior Member

Greenhorn from southeast wisconsin. Upcoming plow season will be my first for my own buisness. Awesome site! Been a member for about 5 hours and have learned a ton of good stuff. Trying to get a good mix of residential and commercial accounts. Just getting into it on my own, would it be better to start more residential until i get more established then go after more commercial the following season?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How much experience do you have plowing now? Nothing wrong cutting your teeth on residentials.

And welcome to the site!
  3. boston68

boston68 Junior Member

Ive been plowing the past 5 years. got a friend in the buisness so ive been plowing for him. he had about 40 residential accounts and 5 or 6 medium size commercials. I always took care of the residential route. He started with mainly residential but i know there is some money to be made in commercial. just seems a little easier getting residential accounts to start off with.
  4. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Go for residentials to start with for a year on your own, then grab a couple commercial lots.
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

First WELCOME TO PLOWSITE:waving: Have you discovered the search feature, great toll. Most of the questions have been answered at least once. It's a faster way to get answers then waiting for guys to respond.

some guys like to do one or the other but I think your concept of a mix is good. since it is your first year I would avoid the larger commercial accounts. They can be tough to deal with for a one man/one machine operation, the pricing more competitive and the chance for problems increase.

What kind of equipment do you have?

Is this how you got your start? Is it profitable when you have to hire someone old enough to drive to operate "your" truck? Are you recommending residential driveways or roadways?
  6. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Welcome to the site. Probably start with resi's and then work your way up. Don't bite off more than you can chew. Have a back up plan if your truck or plow goes down.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Welcome and start with resi's. You will be surprised how doing a good job on resi's will get you some commercials in the future.