1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kemmer, Aug 27, 2004.

1. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

I just got my new truck, a 01 Silverado 2500HD Crewcab. i am considering plowing with it. currently i dont offer plowing in my biz, but i did do snow blowing. is plowing profitable? whats the best way to get customers? how many do most of you have? should there be contracts?

also what plow could i get for it, and how much $$$?

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I suggest you read as many posts here as you possibly can. Unfortunately, your question can not be answered as it is too vague and there are too many variables involved. In short, plowing is not a get rich quick scheme. It is a lot of hard work and often times you don't see a profit for a few years. Read a ton of posts, talk to plowers in your town, research plow manufacturers, read the Chevy board, and educate yourself. The answers to all your questions can be found in this site. Ass you have to do is search and read.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The short version:

1. Not for the first couple of years.
    2. Word of mouth and local shopper.
    3. Varies greatly, start with around ten small ones.
    4. Yes, but not likely at your age.
    5. 8' to 8'6", depending on the make & weight. Around $4,000.
  4. Snowplow newbie

Snowplow newbie Junior Member

There are so many elements to choosing a plow and finding accounts it is difficult to say what to do. This site has helped me quite a bit and reading as much as you can will help. This is a link to my 2500HD.

My Plow Rig

I do quite a bit of commercial with blacktop so I decided to go with the X-Blade. I found it isnt the greatest blade on dirt or gravel, unless you are able to "float" it with expertise. Check out the other blades around and which one would work best for you.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2004
  5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to plowsite!!! Can you drive at 15 in NJ or is your age in your profile a mistype, no offence iam only 17. Nice truck, i agree with mick about plow size 8' to 8'6" depending on the type of plowing you do. You could get a V-Plow if you wanted but i would start small then get bigger and better equipment if you want to get more serious about going after bigger jobs. I can't help you too much with the business aspect. I plow all residentials, 37 driveways. While i agree that plowing is by no means a get rich quick type thing, in big storms i make alot of money between my regular customers and as many flag downs as i feel like plowing. If your going to do commercial and run a large company than the expenses grow and it can be far from profitable. In my opinion start out with residential, put adds in the paper and then expand as you feel necessary.