1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by trod81, Jan 20, 2014.

1. trod81

trod81 Member

Hey guys got my plow up and running and fresh oil. Now I need customers. I was just going to go out in the morning(because it's almost done snowing snow but to late to knock on doors) and just hit some neighborhoods and knock on doors. I was going to get some business cards made up. I have a guy that will hire me on to to ow for him. Just would like input advice and suggestions. Thanks.

2. Fred886

Fred886 Member

Do good work, word of mouth goes a long way. Also get insured if you aren't already.

3. trod81

trod81 Member

Getting business cards made up. As of right now I just have regular truck insurance. How much the going rate and what is a good policy price?

4. trod81

trod81 Member

Stopped snowing last night around 10-11 pm. Didn't want to knock doors that late. I went out this morning at 7:30 and knocked on doors all day. Passed out business cards. Got one call from my ad on Craigslist and plowed a couple others. It only snowed 1-2" so a lot of people were just driving through it. The one customer that called me is the type that I wish I had 100 customers like him. Knows he needs to pay extra for salt and wants me to come for anythjng over 1/4 inch. I am wondering if I should just stop the residential "hunt" and just go work for my dad's friend. He pays 40-50$ an hour I believe.

5. 1997chevy

1997chevy Member

he wants a 1/4 inch trigger? How much is he paying you? How close is he to your house?

6. trod81

trod81 Member

No not a 1/4 trigger. If it snows 1/2 he wants me there stat.

7. 1997chevy

1997chevy Member

still thats a small trigger. The guy that I help plow for (my nieghbor) he doesn't go out for anything less than 2" Unless someone calls due to drifting in the driveway.

8. trod81

trod81 Member

Yeah I know $35. 2 car driveway 2 lengths long, maybe 60 sq ft of sidewalk/patio

9. trod81

trod81 Member

My first client that called!! Don't think that's to bad. Waiting on my insurance agent to call me back. What is an average policy price/limits/coverage for good insurance ? I will only need coverage whole plowing. Do any of you guys usually cancel it during summer months? Or put it on reserve?

10. 1997chevy

1997chevy Member

Damn! Sounds like a good customer! As for insurance I don't know. I normally do mine and my other neighbors driveway. I only help my neighbor out plowing when he gets super overloaded with his normal customers, which has only been once this year

11. trod81

trod81 Member

Yeah it was funny I pulled up this morning and there was another truck there. I could tell he was giving an estimate also. I don't think I undersold myself at all tho. I don't know how some of these guys charge $70+ for driveways that take 2 seconds. And then they don't do sidewalks.

12. trod81

trod81 Member

Any others on the insurance issue?

13. MattR

MattR Senior Member

Cancel insurance during summer???? What if somebody waits until summer to file a lawsuit and then you have just cancelled your insurance?

As far as how my insurance is... I am not like most people here and into the lawn stuff. I own/operate a food concession stand during the warmer months and then plow in the winter, so my insurance is a little different than most.

As far as gaining more customers... Yes do a great job at what you are doing. To help spread the word about your plowing service, besides the business cards, print up some flyers with your name and number at the bottom for them to tear off and save.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  14. trod81

trod81 Member

Went to the grocery store to stick some cards on the board.....and it was gone.

Good point on the insurance!!! Still haven't got an average price outta you guys....

15. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

This is an interesting point that should be clarified with the insurance company and legal authorities in your area, but in most places, if the incident you are being sued for happened while the insurance WAS valid, then you remain covered, even if you subsequently cancelled.

I.e., something happened on Jan 10th, you cancel your insurance on Jan 11th, you get sued on April 1st, YOU ARE INSURED for that incident.

16. Billious

Billious Member

OK so you'll want to understand a little about commercial liability insurance here.

1: Its not auto insurance. It's not based on the vehicle, and you don't just cancel it when you don't want it. You get a commercial policy and stick with it until you replace it with another.

2: You generally pay an amount based on your sales for a given year. So you tell them "I think I will do $10,000 in snow sales this next year" and they bill you based on that. Then, at the end of the year, they audit you and you prove to them what your actual snow sales were. They then adjust the amount you owe +/-.

3: Anyone giving you a number is going to be inaccurate to your scenario. Things that factor in include your expected sales, how many vehicles you're running, what state you're in, etc etc. If you're a one man show just starting out, expect $1000/year as a minimum. And most insurance companies bill commercial on a calendar year, which means you probably won't save anything by waiting until next fall to buy it.

17. Billious

Billious Member

...and in case you're thinking "well screw that noise, I can't afford that", understand this. You're running around with a big heavy blunt object in crap weather. Your auto insurance will NOT cover you if you have a plow on your truck. You hit another vehicle, you're paying out of pocket. You back into a lightpost, same deal. Hit a kid? Get a lawyer. Take out a garage door? Bend over. Have some little old lady slip and fall on a patch of ice? Get ready to file Chapter 7.

Your pricing MUST take into account your insurance costs - long before you put a plow on your truck or solicit your first account.

18. trod81

trod81 Member

I was told I can add on a plow endorsement to cover the plow and any damage I were to do with just the plow. Thanks for your info. You read my mind....acre that noise lol .