1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by vintage steel, Nov 15, 2011.

1. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

Hi all.
    I own a boat repair shop in Hayden, ID (winters suck for boat mechanics) so I built a plow truck. It is a '75 GMC jimmy with a 350, 4 speed, 3/4 ton running gear 4:10 gears and 1 ton springs NP205 transfer open dif and a 2' body lift. I am hanging an 8' Myers straight blade plow off the front. I should have it complete in a day or two I don't know how many "if any" jobs I'll get but at least I won't be shoveling my driveway this year.

Just thought I'd stop in and say hi,
  2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Cool. Let's see pics of the truck.
  3. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Like Banksy said we need pics! sound like a cool truck.
  4. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

I still need to install the front driveline, install the shocks, bleed the brakes, rebuild the pump, upgrade the heater, install a radio, adjust the carb, install exhaust on one side modify the high pressure p/s line and put some lights on it, also I think I'll repaint it. Probably in store for another long night.:mechanic:
    Any tips as far as mounting a beacon light to my fiberglass top?... for that matter any tips at all? The only plow I've ever operated is on the front of my Polaris.
    My running tally is just under $400 so far for this build! (of course my labor is worth nothing) I love a good budget build.
    This is what I have so far: I call him "Jimmy Mayer"
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That will push like a tank and look like one at the same time. Are those tires re-caps? They look like the kind of tire we used to use in an oil company service truck fleet shop.

As far as a warning light...I'd go with an interior mounted one. They make nice LED lights with suction cups for the windows. I'd go that route.
  6. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Awesome truck...or an alternative to the interior light would be a post extended up above the roofline with a plate on it to mount a light on...perhaps off the rear bumper? Banksys idea would be less headache tho
  7. second income

second income Member

That will be a good work truck. Make sure you keep the six bolts that keep that head gear connected to the front frame ears tight. Those mounts were notorious for tilting forward. I had a 78 Blazer and it was a great all around plow truck because of the short wheel base. Good luck with it.
  8. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye on that,
    'just got a contract for a convenience store, not much but it's a start.:nod: