1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by BigDodge4X4, Nov 14, 2010.

1. BigDodge4X4

BigDodge4X4 Junior Member

yes i am a newbie i have a dodge ram 1500 4x4 with a snow dogg md 75 looking to do mainly driveways im looking 4 any advice on how to plow what & what not to do plz help ive never plowed before.
  2. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Go slow and easy your first few times out, make sure you check out all the place you will be plowing before snow is on the ground. That way you know what is in and around the drives and or lots you are plowing. Stay off the grass until the ground is fully frozen, you will cut sod if your not careful. Know your truck and what your working with, I may even suggest taking your controller out of your truck for a week and practice with it. It may sound stupid but if you have never plowed before it will help. Lighting behind the truck is also very important, I run two lights that are mounted to the rear bumper off switches in my cab, if I am in reverse one or both light are on. They also have like back up buddy things they sell too but I like my bumper lights. You will get used to what your doing, if you like what your doing, it will soon become second nature. Go slow and easy your first couple of times out speed will come with time and experience.
  3. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

Ditto to the above Metioned. If you go to fast without understanding the limits of oyur equipment you can do costly damage not only to the homeowners property but to your equipment as well. My first year out I tohught the fast I went the more money I made which in theory is true but I blew out my transfer case in the process along with a rear drive shaft. Then becaue I was so concerned about being fast the next year I had to have my transmission rebuilt because it wasnt shifting properly. Take it slow until oyu are comfortable with your equipment otherwise all oyur profit goes to your equipment and the homeowners property
  4. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

The above advice is good. Take it a little farther and take pictures of all your properties. That way when you get snow on the lot you will know where the obstacles are located. Such as parking stoppers, curbs. water drains, etc. Don't foget about the back of the truck. You need a salt box. I've been running snowex spreaders for several years now. They have a spreader to fit your needs small or large. You'll make more money deicing than you will plowing.

Also what about bidding jobs? If you are looking for help on that we can help you. Check this out.

Snow & Ice Management Bidding Package Includes:
    #1 Snow & Ice Management Manual – this is a comprehensive manual covering all aspects of snow & ice management for both residential and commercial accounts. Also includes application rates for many different deicing materials.

#2 Snow & Ice Management CD full of templates for contracts, route sheets, hours of operation sheets, Who’s first, proposal formats, don’t take the risk template for clients, sample invoices, sample marketing forms and much more. All these templates are in Microsoft Word format and are completely customizable to your business.

#3 Snow & Ice Management Quick Estimator CD – calculates per push, per event, hourly or season contracts. Also calculates material application rates for both granular and liquid applications for any deicing material that you may be using. This CD also calculates time and material for application of material, and hand labor as well. This CD runs in Microsoft Excel and is not software. You simply fill in the blanks and you have your estimate.

Go to www.profitsareus.com or call us at 800-845-0499 to order. Feel free to call us with any questions you might have as well. Being a full-service lawn & landscaping business myself since 1979, I know what a contractor is looking for; something simple, accurate and professional. This package is it.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

READ and then RE READ all the "newbie plowing" posts on here and learn from them
    have fun this winter