1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

newbie wondering about set up

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by plowboywonder, Sep 4, 2015.

1. plowboywonder

plowboywonder Junior Member

So im new to the business and i am looking for a plow and truck. i will be doing only residential this first year. i want a v plow but do i need one? they seem to be almost double the cost of a straight blade. also I need to buy a rig ive been looking at trucks and i am wondering what else other than a full sized pickup you guys might recommend, also what older trucks would be best? i have around 6 grand to spend? thanks for your input

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Have you ever plowed before?
    What's your mechanical back ground?
    What type of plow dealers are in your area?

You don't need a V, but if you find a deal get it.

3. plowboywonder

yes i have plowed before. i am pretty descent with mechanics. im not an expert by any means but i can do most light mechanic work. Im not going to buy from a dealer. I will be buying used of craigslist.

4. jbsplow

jbsplow Senior Member
    from -

you can find decent deals for 6-8 k

5. dieselss

I figured used, that's why I asked about mechanics. I'd try the search function for trucks and plows

6. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

For what you want to spend, I'd be looking at an older Jeep with a straight blade. I think you can get the most bang for your buck in that area.

7. plowboywonder

What kind of jeep would you recommend? Ive found some good used straight blade plows. Do certain plows only fit on certain vehicles or can i usually get the mounts for most 4 wheel drives?

8. JustJeff

I'm not a Jeep expert, so I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction. There are some guys on here that I'm sure will chime in sometime soon with Jeep suggestions for you. You can mount most blades to a Jeep as long as it's not too large. If you find a used 7'-6" straight blade, you should be able to buy the proper mount and wiring harness to fit your vehicle. And don't forget to factor in the price of commercial liability insurance. The cost of that can vary greatly depending on where you live.

9. plowboywonder

One last question then im just going to post another thread asking for jeep guys. I want at least a 6 cylinder wouldnt I?? a 4 banger would be able to push **** would it? most of the wranglers im finding are only 4 cylinders.

10. dieselss

You'd have 4 low

11. JustJeff

Don't get caught up in that. A four cylinder will push snow as well. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it would work. As diesels stated above, you could use 4 low. You'll run out of traction before you run out of power.