1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

newbie with question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by hawkeye, Oct 27, 2010.

1. hawkeye

hawkeye Junior Member
    from Iowa

I am a little confused so here goes- I have a 2001 Chevy silverado 1500 and I am going to be putting a Snowdogg md75 on it. The plow weighs around 480 pounds total. I am getting new 6 ply tires installed and I am wondering if Timbrens are needed and if so just in the front or the rear also. On that same note do I purchase the Timbrens with the 14,000 pound capacity or the ones with the 3,000 capacity? If Timbrens are not needed should I just raise the torsion bars? Thanks

2. superc013

superc013 Junior Member
    from Mass

just through the plow on it. if it squats put a timbren in the front.

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

For a plow that light, you should be able to throw some ballast in the back behind the rear wheels, and call it good.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

put 500 lbs in the bed and go plow

5. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

plow that light shouldn't affect it much. just do what the others said and put some weight in back. if it sags too much later put in timbrens (if you have the $$)

6. eric02038

eric02038 Senior Member
    from MA

i thought that blade was right around 400 pounds. You won't need to do anything to the front end. Depending on what your doing with the plow, most likely you won't even need any weight in the back

7. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

f timberens, give your tbars a crank and save the 200 bucks and buy your self some lunch. im running a boss 7'6 super duty on my sc 6ft bed chevy and turned the bars up and added weight and it does just fine. keep in mind that my plows weight is almost dubble what your will spring. give you tbars around a half crank and go plow some snow!