1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie with old questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Marauder92V, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Marauder92V

Marauder92V Junior Member

Hi All. I have been lurking around for the last few months and thought I would say "hello" and reach out with some questions.

I did my snowplow teething in Western New York over the better part of 20 years. The last decade I have been in the mid Atlanic area and still plowing -- just not as much...

I plow residential areas including whole streets, driveways and a few parking lots. All of my plowing experience has been with straight blades (Yeah I know! Why aren't you keeping up with the times? -- I'm set in my ways, what can I say? :D ) I just bought a new truck and have begun looking at other options. I know there are a lot of "opinions" of who makes the best blade. This is not the intent of my questions (although sharing your experience with different brands would be helpful to know).

Here are my questions:

1) What does a V buy me over a straight blade? I spent a lot of time cleaning up with straight blades. Will a V blade in scoop mode help?
    2) It looks like the Fisher XLS style of blade has some unique capabilities. Based on the type of plowing I do, is there any advantage to this over a straight or V blade?
    3) I read some things on wireless control. I believe Sno-Way uses this, do any of the other manufacturers have this capability and if so, does it work?

Thanks for taking the time to respond...
  2. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

Depends on the roads you plow, a V-plow isn't the thing. Check out the 'equipment for road plowing' thread.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

4. Marauder92V

Thanks for the link! I hear ya. I lived in the snow belt south of Buffalo. Nothing like a good effect snowstorm to make you want to move!
  5. Marauder92V

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.