1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie with Meyer Plow Questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by WillysBoy59, Jan 23, 2015.

1. WillysBoy59

WillysBoy59 Junior Member

Hello,
    I have a 1959 Willys Truck that came with a 7.5 foot Meyer Plow that is likely 1970's to early 80's vintage. I had to install a rebuilt E47 pump assembly and everything is working correctly. I do have a couple of questions that might seem obvious to veterans but I want to plow safely:
    1) How do you correctly adjust the pads or feet? Should the blade be firmly resting/touching ground when adjusted correctly? Should the pad/feet also be firmly resting/touching ground?
    2) What is intended purpose of the pads/feet?
    3) Should the trip springs have any pre-load or should they be relaxed when plow is resting on the ground?
    4) When plow is not being used but you are driving with plow raised does this put too much stress on the hydraulics? Should I remove plow when not actually intending to plow snow to save life of hydraulic pump? ( my unit is far from being a quick disconnect)
    5) Is it wise to Always have the plow in the down position ( for the sake of the hydraulic pump ) when vehicle is not being used?
    At this point I am not doing plowing for hire but do want get involved once I have general knowledge and skills. I am seeking the advise of this forum because I believe people who actually do plowing for hire are most likely to have the most dependable advice.
    Thank you for any all helpful replies.
    Doug

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

:mechanic:

3. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

And close thread lol.

4. WillysBoy59

Thanks for the quick and insightful reply.
    Doug

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I don't like the ram up while not in use. Good way to pit and rust the ram. I'd say lower it...IMO

6. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

1) it depends on what conditions you are plowing. most guys I know including myself run NO shoes on there plows. we do all large parking lots with a few man hole covers but for the most part its a clean flat surface.
    2) the feet can be adjusted to keep the plow off the ground from 1/8 of an inch to 3 inches maybe even more if you want. It will also reduce the wear on the main cutting edge.
    3) I like my springs with preload but not to much because then the plow doesn't trip very well and can cause damage to your blade. you want it stiff so it doesn't fold over under normal plowing conditions but if its to tight it wont trip and the week link will break.
    4) its always better to remove the plow for a number of reasons .but I know guys who leave it on all season with no major issues.
    5) always leave your plow in the down positions. I hate when guys leave the plow up. drives me crazy. no need to put all that strain on the front end of your truck and plow pump.
    JMO

JMHConstruction likes this.
  7. WillysBoy59

Thanks for the wisdom.
    Doug

8. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Lets see a pic of this beast!!