1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie with a Pivot Pin problem

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Kenyou, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Hi everyone. I am new to plowing and new to this site. I have spent many a day and night reading posts. Probably more than I should have if I was married. I would like to thank you for all the valuable information that I have received by reading everybody's posts. I just got a deal on a 93 Chevy 2500 with a 8ft Meyers poly plow w/a E-60 pump. From reading all the post, I may have made a mistake in getting it, but I hope not. So far I only plan on plowing my driveway, the driveway to my woods and maybe some family's driveways.
    From what I hear, getting a plow truck is like getting a swimming pool. Everybody is all of a sudden your friend.

Many guys on the forum told me to take all nuts and bolt apart and lube them up so that I won't have to go through an Act of Congress to get them off in the middle of the winter, if the need arises. Everything went fine until I got to the Pivot pins. There is no grease zerks and I don't know how to get the pins out to make sure they are lubed. I kept reading the Meyers forum and they said to heat them cherry red and use a BFH. I will try that if it doesn't melt my mold board.

I would really appreciate any help you could give me if you know something that could help me further.
    Thank you for such a wealth of information on your site.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your right on the money to try and get the pins out now if their the non greasable type. If they're froze, their usually froze in the sector side of the tube..they don't ever seem to freeze up on the moldboard side. The best way to get them out it to drive them out with a long skinny punch. If you look near the end of pivot tube on the sector, there will be a small hole in the pivot brace. (the flat curved bar with the holes where you'd install a pin to hold the blade in the angled position if it wasn't power angle) The pivot brace covers the end of the pivot pin tube on the inside but if you look closely, there is a small hole in it to put the punch though so you can drive directly on the pivot pin in order to drive it out of the tube. You can try to drive it out without adding any heat but in most cases heat is usually required, and your working far enough away from the poly sheet so don't be afraid to put the heat to the tubes. Heat the sector side tubes until they're good and hot and drive the pins out.

Once you do get them out I'd HIGHLY recommend replacing them with the newer greasable type pins. This will save a lot of aggravation in the long run.

3. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

B&B, Thank you so much for the help and so fast to boot. I will give it a try in the next couple of days. Oh yes, and I already bought the new pins with the grease zerks in the ends yesterday. I don't want to go through this again.

Thanks again.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Also, if worse comes to worse, you can cut the tubes off and just replace them too.

5. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Thank you B&B. I will certainly put that in my bag of tricks as a last resort.