1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie With A Dodge Sport 4x4

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by gdchuck, Aug 10, 2005.

1. gdchuck

gdchuck Junior Member

I have never plowed before, but have been interested for a while. I will not be doing this for money, but more to save money. I own a couple of businesses that have parking lots, and want to plow them myself, along with my residence and some other buddy's places.

I have a 1998 Dodge Sport (Not my Ride-Around) 4x4, regular cab. I am looking at a Used Western Poly 7.5' Plow. My question is if this is too much for this truck. And what to do to make this truck work (Timbrens, suspension support, etc.).

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Robbie Rooster

Robbie Rooster Member

gdchuck. I may be wrong but I remember this from somewhere. On the dodge sport, you would need to notch out the bumper to fit the plow frame because of the sport bumper. As far as being to heavy of a plow, it depends who you ask. I have a 98 Ram regular cab with a 7 1/2 western poly pro. Per Western the plow will work on the truck. If you ask Dodge, the plow is too heavy and would void any warranty. But on a 98 you shouldn't have to worry about the warranty. The front end will sag about 2 inches with the plow on. Last year I would bottom out if I hit a decent size dip or bump in the road. I installed timbrens a couple of weeks ago, which the dealer also recomended. I haven't tried the plow on it yet, but from others that have done the same thing, and the dealer, they all claim I will not have the big drop or bottom out like I used to. Some ballast in the rear wouldn't hurt either.

3. norrod

norrod Senior Member

You shouldn't have any trouble. Like Robbie stated, you'l; have to make cutouts in your airdam, if you still have it.

I have a 97' sport with 147K miles, and the airdam was history a few years ago.

I am running a Western Ultra Pro 7.5'

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  4. gdchuck

gdchuck Junior Member

thanks

Thanks for the quick responses guys...I appreciate it!!

One more question....Would you rather have the Western, or the Snoway?

5. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Both great products, but in your neck of the woods the Western probally is easier to find parts and support for. The SnoWay does have the lexan blades that are lighter and can have the optional down pressure ( a sweet option). Also with the Lexan you can get away without having plow lights.
    Todd

6. nekos

nekos Senior Member

doesn't the sport have a weaker front axle also ???
    i know people plow with sport's but im not sure if it's a good idiea for more then doing a driveway or 2 .

7. norrod

norrod Senior Member

I am sure that all Post 93' 1500's used the Dana 44 rated at 3850#

The next step would be the 2500HD or 3500 w/ Dana 60 @ 4850#