1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie with a couple questions

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 06F350, Oct 17, 2010.

1. 06F350

06F350 Junior Member

Im just getting into plowing and im looking at a 3 year old ultra mount that came off an 07 f250 ill be putting it on a 97 f250. I got a price on a new mount for 450 and my question now is will the wiring work on my truck or will i need all new wiring? also how do you all like the westerns? all my friends plow with boss but i like the westerns alittle better. any input would be appreciated thanks guys
  2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I think some of the wiring will work, I also have an ultramount on an 07 ford. It should have an isolation module So the plow and contoller harnesses should still be the same but the two headlight harnesses will be different. I use westerns website alot you can use the quickmatch and it will tell you what part# you will need for each truck and you can see what #s are the same.

As far as the plow goes I think they are awesome. I do think a lot comes done to personal prefernce, I don't think boss makes a bad plow either, just like western more. Something to think about if all your friends have bosses, make sure there is a western dealer around where you will be plowing. At one point or time you will need a part and not be able to wait to have it shipped.

Is it a pro or pro plus?
  3. 06F350

06F350 Junior Member

thanks i used westerns website and it was really helpful.I need a new mount and headlight harness. the plow is actually a mid-weight. it looks really nice is this something worth buying i dont plan on doing a ton of commercial plowing mostly light residential. There are a number of western dealers near me that stock parts but hopefully i wont need them...
  4. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

there is nothing wrong with a mid-weight i think its fine you should be fine to its sounds like a good deal.

i have a western i love it, no problems, personally i dont like the boss plows too much electrical stuff and that means to much stuff to go wrong i mean its nice to have everything hook up on its own but i always used western always will most of the plowers around by me use western to and now most of the towns are switching from meyers to western

good luck with plowing
  5. 06F350

06F350 Junior Member

What kind of maintenance should be done to a plow before the winter? im not sure if anything has been done to mine. Also what are some good things to have in the truck for plowing? Ive seen the emergency parts kits on westerns website....are they worth it or just a waste?
  6. NorthernPlowman

NorthernPlowman Member

I'd spend the 25 bucks for cheap assurance and replace the pump filter and some fresh fluid. If the hoses look marginal Change them now as well. Other than that not much else to do as long as your cutting edge is good! Drop in the snow and keep on pushin! OH almost forgot a solenoid is like 8 bucks just handy to have an extra.
  7. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

HI JACK from another newbie! OEM or aftermarket,does it make any difference?
    Chad, the real one ;)
  8. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I would change the fluid and m,ake sure you drain the rams also when you change it. I think it is a good idea to carry a solenoid and an extra hose. Plus some extra fluid, if you break a hose or spring a leak and lose a bunch of fluid you are still screwed if you fix it and can't ad any fluid. I know it sounds stupid but also the proper tools to change basic parts.

Good luck this winter!
  9. NorthernPlowman

NorthernPlowman Member

If there's "a number" of dealers in your area, I would just go there spend a hundo for a trouble free winter.