1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie with 1300ft Concrete Driveway

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Vacco, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Vacco

Vacco Junior Member

I just moved into a home on a mountain in Pennsylvania w/ my wife , a 2 y/o and a newborn. It has a 1300 ft concrete driveway with some parts being very steep. The house surroundings and parking spots are concrete also. I own a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 (4WD) and a Polaris ATP 500cc (4WD). My question is what would be the best set-up for the job, the Truck or the ATP with a plow. My concern is the steep driveway and I will be going downhill to plow.
    All advice is greatly appreciated.
    Aurthur

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on what type of snow. If it's lite and fuffy you can plow up hill,if it's wet and heavy you should plow downhill with the weight of the truck and snow you should be able to push it off farther. Make sure your first plows are pushed off the drive because that snow will close the drive in fast.Get a v plow for the Dodge.
    Any pictures of 1300ft of concrete?

3. Vacco

Vacco Junior Member

Thanks for the quick response.
    Not sure what type of snow I will have? Havent spent a winter up there yet.
    Do you think the dodge truck will loose traction down the hill ?
    would the v-plow work well on the flat areas around the house?

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You will definitely want really nice snow tires on the truck, studded if they are legal. Have a set of chains on hand too. The V-plow is the way to go. You can put them in a variety of positions so it will be useful for the top too.

A problem you are going to run into is that everyone will tell you that your truck is not strong enough for the Vee. They are correct, if you are doing commercial plowing. For your own drive only, put on whatever you want.

I presume you are in a rural area. Might want to ask around to get an idea what kind of snow to expect.
    Pics would be great.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Buy a power winch if you get stuck you can hook it up to a tree and pull yourself out if you have to.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Very good idea. You can get them in a cradle that slides in your reese hitch. You can run a cable from the truck's front battery to the back, or just use a short cable and a battery in the bed.

7. Vacco

Vacco Junior Member

Thanks Much Grandview & 2COR517,

I will take picts of the driveway and grounds for a better understanding.
    Is it safe to say the ATV is out of the question.
    Would you suggest the Hiniker 9000 series V-Plow?

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Glad we could help. I don't know anything about the Hiniker plows. I would probably look for the lightest unit, weight wise, I could get. I know Fisher/Western make a 7.5 Vee. The Fisher XV is 821 lbs. The Boss is much lighter at 700 lbs.