1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie with 00 Ram 2500 and 8' Boss Trip-edge

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by johntwist, Oct 29, 2004.

1. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I can't say enough good things about this site and it's members in terms of the information available and the close brotherhood that I'm joining.

I put my new 8' Boss on my truck last February. Of course, as soon as I did it turned into spring here in the Boston area. I think I used it once to scrape 3 or 4 inches of slushy snow off my driveway in March. So, naturally I'm looking forward to a good old fashioned harsh New England winter in the hopes of making some money with my new plow.

Basically, I'm asking for any comments anyone has that may help out the new guy in avoiding making some mistakes you all may have made when you started out, financially, mechanically, or whatever. I have heard it all from so many different people. Go with Chevy. Ford's the best. Dodge sucks, yada, yada, yada. Well, I'm sorry but I love my Dodge, it's a 2500 Quad Cab Sport and I love everything about it.

I have heard that "Dodges are a ***** with an 8 foot blade". Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to get an explanation out of the guy who said that as to just WHY they are. I've heard about the auxillary tranny cooler I should have, which I do, factory. Timbrens, don't have them, the guy who installed my plow said I don't need them.

So, I'm like a sponge ladies and gents, ready to soak up the benefit of your knowledge before I head out there. Should I get extra insurance? Should I go legit and file it on my taxes or just put the dough in my pocket and nobody else knows the better? To break in as a new guy, should I letter my truck? Put an ad in the paper? Call some landscapers and ask about being a sub?

What do you all do about ballast? I have about 600 pounds of concrete blocks for the bed, but what do you all do to keep them from smashing through the rear window of the cab and caving your skulls in in the event of an accident? One guy told me to cover them with a load of sand, which I could also use to spread around driveways by hand after plowing them.

Well, I guess I've shot my mouth off enough. Can't wait to hear what you all have to say, and thank you in advance for your help. I wish you all a safe and prosperous season.

Thanks, John.
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 3500 dodge and I recommend the Timbrens. I would put patio stones in the back of the truck. They are flat and low and you will still be able to use most of the box. If this is a part time thing then you might as well sub to someone or how are you going to be there 24/7. Insurance is a must in my eyes or you may lose everything your worked in your life to get. Everyone thinks lets through a plow on your truck and go and make a few bucks. Well price the truck, fuel,repairs,insurance a plow and probably 10 more things I am to lazy to type and find out how much this is each year. If this is a part time thing you might as well stay home. This stuff is expensive and thats why we charge the money we do. We work hard at this, and most of us do this fulltime.
  3. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Hey And Good Luck this year John,

I am going into my Fourth Year of Plowing , 2nd year As part of my Owned Company! And I'll Tell you a couple of the things I've learned over the years. First MAINTAIN EQUIPMENT! Change oil on trucks alittle more often in Winter, Wash your Truck as soon as you get the chance after a snow storm to wash off salt that will cause MAJOR RUST during off season. Same thing with your plows and sanders if you use one. I Defintly Recommed having Snow Plowers Insurence now whether that means you need a commerical policy or just upgrading a normal policy. Check with your agent. I'm Running a Company So I have A commerical policy with all my trucks and Equipment That i want covered. As for The Suspension subject I REALLY do not think Having Timbrens is a MUST with a 2500/3500 Truck with a plow prep package. I Think There More of A Luxury Item Then a Nessasity unlesss running a overly heavy plow or Sander. I Use My truck (ram 2500 Quad, Short) With a 8' 6" Fisher V Plow And it really dosn't drop at all, The only thing i do Before I put it on is pump up the tires to 80 psi (the max for max load) and it drives really well! and Brakes with little effort! Thats All offf the top of my head! If I think Of anything eles ill Type IT!

Oh and By the Way :drinkup: GO SOX! :gunsfiring: Yankees
  4. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Good luck with your new plow truck John ! I think the only ***** about the dodge with the 8 foot blade was it plowed circles around the Chevy and Ford, lol. I have been runnin dodge for years no major problems here bro.
  5. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

just use sand and salt bags as ballast...and they come in handy for traction
    at some point and to use for customers.