1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie - Where to Start?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by GreenBlade423, Feb 4, 2013.

1. GreenBlade423

GreenBlade423 Junior Member
    from JC, TN

Hello everyone,

I'm a member of lawnsite so I know how all of this works. NEXT year I have decided that I'm going to start into the snow & ice management. I have a good idea with pricing and all that. The equipment however is not my forte.

I have a 2011 Polaris Ranger 500 and I plan on starting out with small to medium size residential accounts. I was thinking of going for a plow for the Ranger to get me started. Something good, but also not too expensive.

However, I also have a 2005 Chevy 1500 Z71. I don't know if it would be a better idea to get a plow for my truck or the ranger.

Anyway, just give me advice & some good quality, good buy plows.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How much snow you get there first?

3. GreenBlade423

GreenBlade423 Junior Member
    from JC, TN

A good 4-6 storms a year averaging 2-6" per storm. Im in Northeast TN so its not like big northern storms or anything.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Put the plow on the truck,with that like snow you won't beat it to death.

5. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

I agree with grandview you can find a nice used plow for your truck for a couple grand. Plows for 1/2 ton trucks are generally used by homeowners and are in good shape and still look new. You are probably looking at a 7 1/2 ft plow for that truck we run Fisher and are very happy with them but it all comes down to what is available in your area.

6. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Im not a fan of GM, but at least it's got a heater.

Both could be good choices. First a plow for the ranger will be cheaper, of course. The best thing there would be to check with your local polaris dealer to see what a new plow would cost for your machine, being that new chances of finding one used isn't as likely as it is for your truck. also check local papers, ebay and craigslist, They are all good sources to get an idea of whats out there and the costs for each.

Then look at the area where you live, ie roral,urban, and so on. With the ranger, how will you get from one drive to the next ? Can you drive it on the road, or will you haul it on a trailer ? Using a trailer is fine but remember you will have to park on the street so the truck isn't in the way while you plow.

Also what are the driveways like in your area. If they are small and tight the ranger is definataly more manuverable, If they are bigger and open the truck will be quicker.

So since your looking at this for next year you've got some investigating to do. But lucky for you now is the time to start doing your homework, cause here in spring is when you can get some good deals on plows.

Hope this helps, and good luck.