1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie wants to know how much to charge for residential.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ram_tough2001, Jan 9, 2010.

1. ram_tough2001

ram_tough2001 Senior Member

hey everyone. im picking up my first plow next week. im 20 years old and drive a 2001 dodge ram 1500. im going to be plowing about 5 driveways to start off with maybe 6. i also work at a gas/service station 40 hours a week so im not going to be hurting for cash. just wanting to know what the average price per driveway charged is? thanks in advance.

2. nymustang50

nymustang50 Senior Member

Depends on the driveway and how much snow and location of where you are.

3. ram_tough2001

2 of the residentials have garages. all others are open, normal sized 2-3 car driveways i live in south east, NH

4. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

This appears to be the question of the year. Sub for someone first

5. ram_tough2001

well i talked to a good friend of mine...also happenes to be my boss at work. he says dont do a driveway for less than 20 bucks. what do y'all think?

6. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

i think; dont do a drive for less than 25, i dont drop my plow for less than 30, except for my house which is free, but iam also doing larger driveways than you with the longest being 160' and the shortest being 40'

7. ram_tough2001

my longest driveway will probly be about 150-160 feet. its my neighbors driveway and they have a garage as well.

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Do you have insurance?
    $20 is too cheap

9. ram_tough2001

i have basic liability insurance. NH doesnt require auto insurance. and im not a company right now...just a kid trying to make extra cash..

10. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

Without insurance you may end up paying out alot more than you make.

11. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

It's not cheap, it's reasonable in parts of the North East.....Most true newenglanders aren't going to pay 30-40bucks for a push that takes 2-5minutes & they sure as hell dont have a 2" trigger

12. snowfighter75

snowfighter75 Senior Member

Don't drop the blade for less than $30. If its a long drive $40 to $50 depending on the size and messing around! If they think $30 bucks is to much, Show them the price of a new plow. You're not gonna make any money for less. Good luck with the new business man! All the best!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  13. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Sucks to be in your part of the country then I guess.

14. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

I did the resi crap when I first started, it sucked & too much aggravation....I'll take muni plowing anyday

15. babs2972

babs2972 Junior Member

hey ram tough! good to see another guy from NH! I dont do residentials but a couple friends do and they are getting between $25 for a small 2 car width and about 30' long and $55 for ones about double and bigger. Then have an agreement with the homowner for return trips if we get alot of snow like 12-20" in one storm. that should be a double charge. Good luck

16. ram_tough2001

well i ofiacially have 3 driveways to plow..gonna work out a 4th when i pick up the plow.. im working on getting some more...but i agree with tommymac...most people arent going to pay 30-40 per storm unless its a bigger driveway.the ghuy that hase been plowing my moms driveway for the past 10 years only charges 10 a storm..we will see how things go this winter..if all goes well maybe a new truck and plow next winter.

17. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

[Ram tough................. you are about right for up here at $20 as thats about all these cheap sake old Yankees will pay. Up here in Maine for a 10 min or less push that is all I can get for them........... but my next door neighbors all jump up here and go set on an old Skidder all day working there guts out at 20 below zero right out in the open cutting wood for a contractor that owns the machines for $9.50 an hour so unless they get over time they gross $400 a week before taxes and they all go to work at 3 am and some are traveling 2 hrs each way to find work. They are trying to raise familys on that wage?????
    You sorta have to go with the area like if I drive down to visit my sister in Southern Maine only 200 miles from here like I did last year and they were having a big storm and I just started asking people if they needed a push as we were having a good storm that weekend every drive way I plowed they would say how much do we owe you ??? And I would say oh just give me what ever you think its worth to you? And most of them took 10 mins or lessas they were all in a sub division and have little drives; and they almost all gave me two twentys..................... a couple gave me 50! And oneold old guy that looked about 90 years old to me. and I thought he was going to have a stroke. gave me $10 and I tried to give it back he wouldnt take it.......... I made $500 that afternoon ....But there is MONEY down there.... You gotta be careful with everyone telling you about charging the moon for plowing , if you live in an wealthy area it is certainly worth the moneys they are quoting I will be the first to admit that. They are compleatly correct, however with that said ,if they lived here they couldnt get five cents more than anyone else gets around here cause the people that live here just flat cant afford it,. and its that simple So if you want to live up here in the woods where there is NO money, you sure as heck cant charge the same money as were everyone makes 60 grand a year and they are used to paying........................
    Your own overhead has everything to do what you need to charge . If you just have an old truck with a plow on it and no insurance no one can plow as cheap as you could............. if you get a new truck and plow and insurance you wont be able to either.
    I have a newer truck with a Vplow and a Tractor with a cab and a straight plow and insurance and I would never be able to price a driveway as cheap as you could ................
    All of us have to start somewhere and when I started I found out what the local guy was charging and I did NOT undercut his price but I did try to do a better job than he did and I did a little extra stuff and had better equipment than he has and soon his customers came to ME and that is the best way dont try to underbid the locals! as you may need a favor, or help, or at the least a pull out of the bank, and if you are a young fella trying to get started ,everyone can relate to that and the soft hearted ones will give you a lift ................. if you do shoddy work, and underbid everyone, they will all hate ya, and will drive right on by and leave you in a mess........................ my compitition probably hates me, but he and I will help each other out if we get in touble and are at least respectful to each other.
    Hope that helps ya a little and best of luck to ya ...... who knows maybe someday you will the king of snowplowers down your way??????

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010