1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

newbie w/ salt spreader question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by m.$terner, Feb 28, 2010.

1. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

hi guys.ben doing some plowing and a lot of salting for a local company for the last few years.they are selling their vehicle and equipment and are just going to sub it out.im intrested in taking it over and picking up some other local places as well.i picked up a meyer mini spreader ( model number 36006) and its got no motor.ive heard these motors tank a lot and im guessing thats what happened to this one.i want to replace the motor on it though so i can use it but cant seem to find a motor anywhere labeled to work for this model number. ive checked old post on here but never saw a link or anything.if someone could help me with this it be greatly appreicated.also any tips or somewhere i can buy accessories for that specific spreader.thanks

2. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

3. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

thanks man.i needed some other parts too so that site will be very helpful.ive read of a few guys buying motors off ebay for around 100 bucks ish? is this true? cmon i know someone out there has had to have bought a motor for one of these fairly recently.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

This wouldn't be Mark $terner would it???:waving:

You get what you pay for, those units are known for eating motors. They eat the cheap rebuilds even faster.

5. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

Hi Basher,

No Mark is my uncle though. Im gary's son, my name is Merrill. you installled his plow on his old 78 chevy shortbed. Ive heard your the best around this area for anything plow related though so nice to meet you.

-Just trying to run an inexpensive little system here. Im seeing around $400 for some of these motors when i do find them and im just figuring that 4 of the $100ish ones if maintained properly will outlast the one $400 one.Just trying to stay ahead of the game ya know. you wouldnt happen to have these available to order then, would you Basher? if so a price quote would be very appreciated since your local

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Tell your dad and uncle I said hi:waving: Tell Mark he should have hung on to that used V-box spreader he sold me 20 years ago for you:laughing:

The trick regardless of what motor you buy is to seal it WELL. coat it with fluid film, or buy a can of spray Plastic coat at the hardware store and coat it well. If you can keep the salt out you are miles ahead of the game.

some others opinions

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=92386&highlight=spreader+motors

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=77434&highlight=spreader+motors

7. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

thanks for the input(i was trying to find posts like that but their are so many categories i had no clue where to look).think i might just go with a cheap version and see how it works out.for $100 its a chance im willing to take.it shouldnt see a ton of use so im not worried about it.ill seal it up nice and good though, maybe even considering building a box around it with an access panel to it and having it welded.if its totally enclosed it should last as long as the quality of the motor will allow it.

-Ill say hi to my dad for you but i nor my father have talked to mark in over 7 years. family problems. he doesnt talk to any of the family at all so yeah.idk maybe you've seen him? lol

8. streetscrapin16

streetscrapin16 Senior Member

I bought motors for my 36006 and 36000 and paid i think $85 off of eBay and it works great.

9. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Wash it you when your done and seal it the best you can