1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie w/a 2008 Tacoma!!....w/questions of course

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 2008 Taco, Oct 30, 2008.

1. 2008 Taco

2008 Taco Junior Member

Hey everyone how's it goin?! I've been surfing on here for a few days and finally registered, so I'm brand new to this forum. Theres a TON of good info here from what I can see and I look forward to learning a lot from everyone on here.

About me:

I'm in Cleveland Ohio, and am thinking of plowing for the first time. I just bought a brand new 08 Tacoma, and am planning on using this to plow.

I have a few questions which hopefully you guys can help me with. Having a Tacoma, I'm limited as far as which plows and which sizes will work. I really wanted to get a BOSS plow but they do not make one for my truck. So, I've been looking at the Meyer Drive Pro (6'8"), the Western Homesteader, or the Curtis Home Pro. I will mainly use this for residential plowing w/light commercial (clean up and tighter spots). I've been hearing good and bad about all these and dont know which one to get.

Meyer: I keep hearing they are not so reliable and to stay away from them. But, the Drive Pro apparently is a new model, will look the best on my truck, is a commercial grade plow but smaller, and a great size for what I'm looking to do.

Western: This one looks kinda goofy on my truck (in pics at least), I hear isnt as sturdy as the Meyer, but I hear its a faster plow and I keep hearing people praise Western.

Curtis: I guess they are not as well known around here and not too many people run them. The construction of it looks GREAT as far as structurability (dont know if thats a real word).

Pricing is all about the same, as well as weight and plow sizes. I need some advice from you guys to make sure I pick the right one. I know this isn't a big truck but for now she will do and if things go well I will be upgrading trucks in the future. But for now if anyone can help please do.

Thanks again to everyone

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Consider Snoway www.snoway.com I install a good number of them on Tacos and they perform well.

Do a search under "Tacoma" you'll have a lot of reading

Welcome to plowsite

3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i think someone on here just put a 8 foot fisher xblade on there taco. What was his name......Loni??

you should check with him he could give you some advice.;)

4. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

he put it on a tundra.

5. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

yeah, but wouldnt you want to see a xblade on a tacoma?

i should probably add some constructive advice so... get a snoway, and put three hundred lbs. behind behind the rear tires. If its a auto and it doesnt have a tranny cooler get one.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

The best plow for your application would be a Sno-Way 22 series, 7'6".

The plow is the right weight for your truck, and the plow has Down Pressure so It scraps like its real heavy.

No Doubt Sno-Way...Top notch plows. www.snoway.com/

7. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

Probably look really good, just hope I wouldn't get in an accident with that thing!!:D

Seriously though, I got an 06 Taco with the Fisher (same as the western). Been happy with the plow, pushes good and we get mostly slushy/ice packed snow storms. Plow is quick and haven't had any issues.. knock on wood. I only do mine and couple of neighbors though but I do plow around the curbs and sidewalks in front of my place so I've hit a few things with it. The plastic made me nervous too, but it's actually very rugged, my road is in serious need of repaving and I've been helping them find the loose stuff. If I had the money I woulda considered the Sno-way but they were much too far outta my price range at the time.

The only advice I could give would be tell you to look into getting heavier rated front springs. The stockers are very soft and I believe any manufacturers plow you put on there you'll compress 'em almost to the bump stops. I first bought the Timberns but was riding around on them with the plow on and didn't like the way it felt, felt too squirly with no suspension movement. So, I got heavier springs and fixed the problem, wish i coulda saved the $200 on the timberns 'cause that's what the springs go for. Good luck and hope this helps!!

8. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

oh man that would be sick!! wesport Wonder what it would do 2 the truck after a year of plowing?

9. 2008 Taco

2008 Taco Junior Member

Hey thanks for all the advice so far guys I REALLY appreciate it. As far as the truck goes it has the TRD (aka turd package), so it does have some upgrades from the factory including a tranny cooler. I was surfing on here and saw a Taco w/the Western Suburbunite and it looked great on the truck! Anyone have any experience w/these?

10. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

What are you worried about what it looks like? Your not taking it to the parade. You are using it to make money!payup Get the plow that is most functional for what you are doing. If your doing drives, get a snoway (I expect a check in the mail tom!) it is the only plow with down pressure which will help out a lot back dragging. You can back drag ok with a heavy commercial plow, but you are limited to what you can hang off the front of your toyota. I would also stay away from the home plows, because you are planning on doing multiple drives. Get a cheap plow and plow a lot, you will be buying a lot more frequently and you will save money by spending a little bit more and getting a plow designed for what you are going to use it for.

11. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

If you are serious about getting into plowing for money, here is some advice. Make sure you know how much things are going to cost before buying your plow. Beyond the cost of the plow, there is commercial liability insurance and unless you are just going to conduct business under your own name, you would at least have to file a "dba", so find out the cost of that for your area. I'm not looking to scare you out of the business, just want you to be aware that to do this properly, certain steps need to be taken. As far as which plow to purchase, since you are looking to do residentials I would strongly recommend the 7'6" SnoWay 22 with down pressure. The other plows you mention do have their own purpose in life, but none of them backdrag all that well, and doing resi's you will be backdragging alot so the extra money spent on the right setup will be made up for in time. Best of luck.

That would be awesome, would probably need 500lbs of ballast just to keep the rear wheels on the ground!!! lol

12. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i hate to say it but meyers plows....

13. ein999

ein999 Member

why do you hate to say it?

Meyer is veri good isnt it. If you ask me it is the nicest one. They are great.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  14. 2008 Taco

2008 Taco Junior Member

Well, off I go.....to Medina Tractor to get my new sno-way 22!!!

15. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Don't forget to post pix this afternoon. :cool:

Thanks for being a Sno-Way customer.

16. ducatirider944

from Iowa

So you gonna send me a Snoway t-shirt or something Tom? I talk this guy into a Snoway, not to mention the coin I just dropped on my new Mega V.?

17. ducatirider944

from Iowa

Good choice!