1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie vehicle question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by viperakron, Aug 23, 2010.

1. viperakron

viperakron Junior Member

I'm retired and looking to make a little beer money in the winter. Looking to do a few residential driveways here in Northern Ohio.
    I thinking a later model (97- 05) Jeep Wrangler would work for me, I'll leave the big jobs to the 1 ton PUs.
    Whats the best package of engine, trans, chassis and year?

Price range $6K to $14K

I'd like to use this vehicle for daily transportation too, so need to have some creature comforts.

Am I better off to buy a Jeep without a plow or get someone's package? I'm thinking the mech condition of the Jeep would be better if it wasn't plowed.

What will I have to spend to outfit a Jeep without a plow?

Anything else obvious to you guys I'm not thinking of?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

All depends on what kind of beer you like,that will determine what type of truck you need.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

TJ (97-05) I prefer the manual trany. The plow people list the 4 cyl as the preferd engine, I'v used only 6 cyl for plowing driveways for 24 years

4. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

Have you read a damn thing on here:popcorn:

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I've read plenty on here

6. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

not you, im talking about our friend beer money:salute:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  7. viperakron

viperakron Junior Member

Are you suggesting some other thread buried in the search? Then No I thought I'd as a simple question in the newbie section. If you have a link I'd love to see it.

8. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

no just the common knowledge section

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Jump into the jeep section and there will be a lot of your answers .

10. viperakron

viperakron Junior Member

Who is this Alababi, the welcome wagon?

11. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Small World...I plow for beer money too...Wife Loves Coors light...:drinkup:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  12. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

ohh god.. time to put on the chit boots:nod:

13. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

If your looking yo make beer money-a good snow blower and shovel will be your best Friend. And I'm being serious. Buy the time you invest in a Jeep and plow, pay for the insurance and repairs, you would need 25+ drives.

And please don't let me believe you would risk your retirement with out commercial insurance-I'm working too hard to build mine!

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

He'll just test drive one and take pics for you.

15. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

This is much more amusing than reality TV and less expensive than poker

16. njsnowremoval

njsnowremoval Senior Member

imo Your better off with a on plowed one and add the plow when you buy, also you need to think about susspention because those jeeps wont really handle a plow with out some work. just my 2¢ :laughing:

17. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

Click on above vendor links. You can find a plow for any jeep. Cost is still gonna be around 4,500 installed. Takes alot of driveways to pay that back. Used jeep w/ plow might be the better option. Most people remove at least the moldboard of the plow when not in use. So in my opinion, the suspension getting wrecked is really not an issue as long as you don't drive around all winter w/ a plow hanging from the front end.

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You should be able to find a very nice Jeep and plow with-in your budget.

I would look for TJ with-out a plow then choose a plow based on dealer support. For example the Snoway 22 series is a great choice for a Jeep doing driveways, The down pressure is a great feature, BUT NOT if the nearest dealer is 300 miles away and you are not capable of doing your own repairs. Plus if you buy new it can make warranty a hassle.

you'll need to install the highest amp hour battery the tray will hold and to be extra prepared install an high output alternator. The plow you choose will decide the necessity of suspension enhancements but regardless of plow brand you should carry some ballast. A set of good winter tires can be the best snow removal equipment you spend money on. Talk to your insurance man and develop a contract, you don't want to plow with out either, slip and fall suits are common. The contract should clearly define areas of responsibility, service requirements, price and terms of payment.

The search feature on the right center of the forum's menu bar is your friend:nod: search under any of the terms I used you don't understand and you will find much to read.:waving: