1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

newbie using a 575 snoex

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Stickman, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Stickman

Stickman Junior Member

Take it easy on me ! New to the snow removal business but only doing one lot that my family and I own. Our property manager bought a skid of arctic blast ice melter at $15 plus a 20 kg bag . I'm burning through this stuff at a ridiculous pace salting the side walks and an acre plus of parking lot. Am I nut's to be using this stuff on the parking lot,instead of regular rock salt? The spreader seems to eat the stuff at a crazy pace, using a variable controller set at 30 any insight would be great.

Thank stickman
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Here is your insight for the day. On a 1 acre parking lot you should be using close to 6 bags per application. If your using more than that you need to drive faster, or turn the spreader down more.
  3. Stickman

Stickman Junior Member

Thanks that just made my day ...just the insight I was looking for

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Using anything but rock salt is a waste of money unless extreme cold demands the use of something else.

300lbs would be the absolute bare minimum and only at high temps.
  5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Isn't Artic blast a calcium mix? If so then 300 pounds should do pretty well.