1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie, Truck mounted Blower?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DieselDood78, Nov 30, 2003.

1. DieselDood78

DieselDood78 Junior Member

Has anyone used one of these? I have a 96 Dodge 3500 with the Cummins. I'm debating saving up for one and doing just some driveways. The one I saw was in the Northern Tool and Equipment catalog. It seems like it would be good for that application, but I have NO expeirence with running a plow.
    Would I be better off with a V-plow?

2. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

Well I dont have any experience with the sonw blowers on a truck but I know a guy around my area that has one on his truck. I might be able to get some pics and ask him some questions.

Josh 99zr2
  3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i saw them i mean 6k is alot of cash unless ur doing really deep snow
  4. Daryl

Daryl Junior Member

Your probably talking about the Hansen Snow Blower

I know nothing about that particular model but we purchased one from Tenco about 4 years ago. It operated off a 60hp Detroit Deisel that sat in the back of the truck and ran the blower hydraulically.

Blowing snow is very slow. Generally your moving 2- 4mph depending on how deep it is. Also they are very mechanically dependant. You will constantly be getting things jammed up that you wished you could have avoided.

We had many problems with are blower and turned out that it had been improperly manufactured. Because of our problems the manufactuer actully bought it back from us after a couple of years.

The V-plows work excellent and are very fast. They do not get clogged up and have few maintenance problems. If you need a blower just buy one for a skidsteer. (cheaper)

Also tough to put a blower on a truck and be within your axle weights. We had ours mounted on a F550 4X4 and we were just able to scale the front axle within spec with extra ballast in the rear.
  5. DieselDood78

DieselDood78 Junior Member

Thanks guys! That's the kind of info that I was looking for. I never would have thought about clogging it up or the weight issue. I think I'll look into getting a V-plow.

Thanx again