1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie -Touchpad overloads often, on lower mode -E60 Meyer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CleveGarageDoor, Feb 26, 2008.

1. CleveGarageDoor

CleveGarageDoor Junior Member

Any suggestions? "A Solenoid"? Easy to replace? Thanks!

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Touchpad overloads often???

3. CleveGarageDoor

Yes, the red "overload" light comes on on the touchpad when I press "lower" button, all is dead. Then I must turn touchpad off and back on to reset operation. Sometimes the overload keeps happening, sometimes I can plow without a problem.

ALSO. Towards the end of last season, and now, the overload will trigger when plow is left down and "floating" for more than 1 minute.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  4. lehmand1

lehmand1 Member

You must have submitted two threads. I replied to the other one. I think its either a bad A coil or bad connection between the coil and ground, or bad connection in the wire, either way, I would start the diagnosis at the coil. They arent that expensive either, like 20-30 bucks i think.

5. CleveGarageDoor

Yes, sorry. Slow activity on other. Broke down antsy. THANK YOU for suggestions! Remember me if you need a Garage Door question ever answered.

6. lehmand1

lehmand1 Member

Oh I sure will

7. theplowmeister

from MA

I dont know meyers plows, but could be the wire that controls the down solenoid is grounding or the down solenoid has an internal short or a bad controller. Try disconnecting the wire at the down solenoid and work the controller while driving and see if it still overloads, if it dose then you have eliminated the solenoid as ths source of the problem. if it dosen't overload then it's probly the selenoid. Then unplug the controler and put an ohm meter or test light on the harness down wire and drive around and see if the light flashes or blinks or glows (indicating a intermittent ground). if it does then its the wire else its the controller.

8. CleveGarageDoor

Just cleaned A-coil plug connection. Wasn't bad. Gonna try the touchpad test.

Is the A-coil a NAPA part or Meyers specific part? Easy to replace?

9. theplowmeister

from MA

I don't believe a Bad connection will overload the controller. otherwise discounting the plow wires would make the controler overload. that circuit needs to use excess current IE a short.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

On a touch pad it will..and it doesn't take much..only about 100-200 OHM's of extra resistance in the circuit..they're very finicky about resistance in the circuit.

But your on the right track to disconnect the A coil and leave the controller on for a bit to see if it still overloads. This will tell you if the coil is shorted directly. If it doesn't trip with it disconnected, change the A coil.

Note: If it has a Square bodied A coil on it now, pitch it and replace it with the older style round coil design. They cause much less problems with the TP's controllers.

If it still trips the light even with the coil disconnected, check all the pins in the under dash plug for a loose pin or one thats not fully seated and all the wiring for a short or poor connection.

Also check the orange ground wire, should be grounded either to a bolt on the under hood relay or directly to the neg battery terminal.

11. lehmand1

lehmand1 Member

Yes you can buy these at napa. The one we just replaced on a friends truck came from NAPA. and they only carried the round bodied ones. It is very easy ro replace, one nut on the top of the coil and one wire connection and its done.

12. CleveGarageDoor

Will Do! Thanks guys!

:salute:​

_