1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie to snow removal

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by MADPlowing, Sep 29, 2014.

1. MADPlowing

MADPlowing Junior Member
    from hammond

Hello, I run a cleaning service here in Northwest Indiana. With last year's "snowmageddon" and the potential of another one. I decided to get into snow removal. My Father-In-law worked for the city and plowed snow for over 30yrs. So I have experience. (Father-in-law) and a truck. Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab with a 5.7 Hemi. I am looking at a BOSS 7'6 standard plow. I am going to mainly do residential and light commercial. I also have a Ford 250 with a bigger plow. (Bought it like that) With my Father-In-law in the 250 and me in the 1500 we should do ok.

I have no clue on the bidding process and or pricing.

2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

What is the going rate for a driveway in your area? What are your costs per hour?

3. MADPlowing

MADPlowing Junior Member
    from hammond

Please excuse my non-experience. How do I find my cost per hour?

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Start reading all the threads on it on here. Search all cost per hour. Cost of running a trk.
    You want to plow, but have no clue what to charge, what it costs you to run your company. Might wanna try subbing for a year or two first.

5. MADPlowing

MADPlowing Junior Member
    from hammond

Thanks. Going to start my subbing search.

6. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Driver cost, Gas, Insurance, Maintenance (tires,oil,wipers,etc), unexpected break downs, Replacement cost,etc / how many hours you plan to run it

7. MADPlowing

MADPlowing Junior Member
    from hammond

Ok. Thx. Going to crunch some numbers and see what I come up with.