1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

newbie to plowing

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by oka, Dec 31, 2008.

1. oka

oka Junior Member
    from canada

hi, i would like to get started plowing, so i purchased a 7.5' fisher minute mount. thaught i was doin' good untill i went to install it, looked under the hood of my '98 gmc with a 5.7 vortec in it and couln't find any room for the pump, resivoir, or the controle valve assembly. just wondering if there is something i am missing, or if i just wasted my time and money on this idea.

any help would be much apreciated!!tymusic

2. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

Welcome to plow site. I am assuming you have an under the hood belt drive pump. What was this plow on originally? Again I am assuming you bought it used.

3. oka

oka Junior Member
    from canada

yes it has an underhood belt drive pump and yes i did buy it used, i was told it was on a '97 chev with a 5.0 in it.

4. Harleychvy

Harleychvy Senior Member

sounds like it came out of a older truck. From my understanding the vortecs will not accept a under the hood pump. I could be wrong though

5. oka

oka Junior Member
    from canada

that is what it is looking like, is there any known way to modify the hydrolics to electric and plow mounted?

6. Harleychvy

Harleychvy Senior Member

I sold a MM off a 88 GMC with under the hood hydraulics to a guy with a late 90's Dodge. I knew it wouldn't fit, and I told him. He said he could make it work, never heard back from him, so I dont know it he got it figured out. But I'm sure with some inginuity and the right pullys it could happen.

7. Harleychvy

Harleychvy Senior Member

I think the plow can be switched over to a elec/hyd, but it may be cheaper to just buy a used plow thats allready to fit your truck.

8. oka

oka Junior Member
    from canada

yeah, i just thaught of that and went to look at the plow and see i have lots of room to do the mod, and then i priced the elec/hydro unit at $1000.00 and think it would be easier to sell this unit and find another used plow. thanx to everyone that responded.

9. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

I had a 1997 3500 5.7 with a fisher engine drivin pump. It was mounted just over the alternator. The reservoir was part of the pump.
    You also need to change the single belt damper pully to a 2 belt since the hydrolic pump runs on its own belt.
    The valve body mounts where the under hood "tool box" is. (must be removed)