1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

newbie Timbren fellow

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dag-otto, Dec 29, 2003.

1. dag-otto

dag-otto Member

Report:
    I picked up a set for my 250, and holy smokes these little rubber "dog kongs" look-a-likes, make a huge difference. When raising the plow the truck only dips an inch compared to several. They also improve going over the bumpy country roads, I don't hear the ford bump stops "BANGING" against the axle on those deep holed roads.
    Good investment for ford plow trucks in my opinion. How long do these things last? I bought a spare set any road just in case. I imagine they would last at least 3yrs of plowing.

Cheers

2. Hiwire

Hiwire Member

Look at the info that came with them. They are guarenteed for the life of the truck. Maybe you can send the second set back and get your money returned. Ray:nod:

3. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

I am equally pleased with mine so far. On my F250 they are just about touching without the plow on. With the plow on and raised I get 1/4-1/2" drop. Not bad at all. I do have the same springs as an F350 but with the crappy TTB front axle I want to keep the tires as close to the correct angle as possible.

4. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

i am an air bags user and my truck barely sinks with the air bags to 50lbs....I browsed about those tibren and was just wondering do they then limit suspension travel. From there diagrams it looks like you are just lowing the bumpstop and replacing it with a heavy duty one?..just wondering because they are intersting but i play in the woods to much and i need as much flex as i can get out of my ttb

come on snow payup

5. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

expect a 3-9 year life span on f-250's and f-350s depending on how they are loaded most of the time and on chevy/gmc expect 1-5 years out of a set

6. dag-otto

dag-otto Member

Hey thanks for the info Ray, maybe this will convince my wife (ceo&accountant) to let me add a 2004 to go with the unused timbrens :)

7. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

here are a couple of pic's of mine, I can't believe how well they wrok and the ease of installation

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  8. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

and raised, not any noticable difference to speak of

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  9. Hiwire

Hiwire Member

I just had my timbrens put on this morning. I only had the shop do it because the other option was for me to lay in the mud and do it and that didnt sound very appealing today. It took them about 1/2 hr to do both sides. The biggest problem was just that the old stops had to be heated a little to get them off. They do make contact slightly unloaded. I havent put the blade back on but driving home I could tell a very little difference. It seems even more stable in a turn or when making a sudden stop but really doesnt ride noticably harder. Just by bouncing my full weight (all #135) on it, the front doesnt budge. I am sure this is going to make a definite difference once the plow is on again. I guess once I take the #350 out of the rear, it may come down a little harder on the timbrens and ride a little harder, but ride has never been my reason for buying a truck anyway.
    Ray

10. dag-otto

dag-otto Member

Man the clearance is unreal on your 250 with the boss... I have no idea why western didn't follow that model, it would make me feel better when plowing those short little steep driveways we all love :) Nice rig.

11. dag-otto

dag-otto Member

Oh indeed, in fact I was exaclty the same, noticed hardly any difference from not having timbrens...I am sure once you blade-up, and raise the blade it will make sense... it could also be just all timbren-pyhscological.;)

12. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

My timbrens worked great at holding the plow weight, but during the summer and times with no plow they made the ride absolutely awful. Finally had to deal with my springs and now the timbrens do not hit the axle with plow off or on. Now, my springs were so sagged out that the timbrens contacted the axle without the plow on. That makes for a very bad ride. If the timbrens don't contact the axle without the plow, then you should be in the clear. Just my .02

13. dag-otto

dag-otto Member

I remembering reading somewhere that the timbrens will not be effective if they are not touching the axles...there should be no clearance between the timbrens and the axle... I might be wrong, I usually am, according to my mum-in-law... :)

14. boogiedown40

boogiedown40 Junior Member

I have a 1989 F250 with 8 ft Boss super duty and wanted to get a set of these. My front end is dipping about 3 or 4 inches now so maybe they will be good for me. What is the average price of them?

15. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Paid 146.00 for mine, well worth it :)

16. a2t2p

a2t2p Junior Member

like '85F150' said, do timbrens limit travel? also, in everyone's opinion, which would be best for my '95 bronco with a 7'6" western?

17. juggernaut

juggernaut Member

Be learly of using timbrens on the twim traction beam suspesion it does cause the axle to ride on the stop when loaded which causes a stress point farther in on the axle arm, away from the spring in a weaker part of the "beam." Your best bet is to install air bags or stiffer springs but air bags allow adjustability which is neccassary to keep these front ends aligned camber wise.