1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie thinking about buying plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DodgeDriver77, Jan 20, 2005.

1. DodgeDriver77

DodgeDriver77 Junior Member

Hey guys. Just joined the site yesterday, and I am very impressed with all the knowledge on the board. Have been browsing all the forums, and I have to say that I definitly like the Calender thread the best..... :nod: thanks avalanche.....

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500, and I am interested in buying a plow setup (used....not enough dinero for a new one yet). I was hoping some of you could give me some advice on what kind of plow to get (size, type, modifications to my truck), and any legal issues I need to be aware of before I go and buy one (insurance, lights on my truck, etc). I am trying to get a handle on how much it it going to cost me, and what my plan of action should be. I am only going to do it part time, since I am an Electrician during the day. Thanks for any help you can provide.....

2. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

Welcome to plow site Dodge Driver. I am just back into the business after a few years off and do I ever wish there was something like this when I started out. As for equipment you will certainly get a lot of input here, I own a meyer and a sno-way and I am equally happy with both units. For lights, I say the more the better, I add high intensity back up lights to the rear of the truck, I have them switched so they only come on only when I need them (plowing season), this was in my opinion the best modification I ever made. Also check you local laws but I would definitely recommend a yellow beacon or small light bar, for some reason a truck seems to become invisible when a plow is mounted on it. Don't ask me why, just happens :nod: For insurance issues every situation is different, your best bet would be to seek the advice of an independent insurance agent, and a good attorney to see what needs you should address, you may also want to ask around of the local guys currently plowing in your area, thats what I did. Good luck