1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie things to watch out for

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jdilliplane1, Dec 23, 2010.

1. jdilliplane1

jdilliplane1 Senior Member

HI, evveryone. I have my own residential accounts and am working on subbing myself out for some commercial work. Being new and never having plowed before, what are some of the things that I should be wary of when actually plowing or some tricks that you have learned to make yourself more efficient. I know it is gonna take me some time, but I don't want to do any unnecessary damage, etc that can be avoided due to newbie stupidity. I'm plowing with a 71/2 western unimount on a 99 F250 ext cab diesel.
  2. peterng

peterng Senior Member

don't take on gravel drives and wait til the sod is frozen.
  3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I would start with a good cup of coffee and the "search" function.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but there is endless reading on all the things you are wondering about and more. Unless I'm in the passenger seat, I really can't give tips on how to plow efficiently because different accounts take different tactics.
  4. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

I notice a lot of people get so caught up in what the plows doing they throw it in reverse and start backing up with out looking, and doing lots or roads people are going to follow you into a pile or corner cause there dumb had it happen Monday.
  5. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i agree with 02 people are stupid and have no conception that they are in your way. also look over the lots real good find all the curbs and light poles and know where they are. other than that go slow, youll catch on quick. :drinkup:
  6. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

I will agree with that go take a look at your lots and stuff BEFORE it snows so you can mentally map out things
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

all the advice in the world is not as good as actual experience....go slow and learn
  8. jdilliplane1

jdilliplane1 Senior Member

thanks guys, I definitely want my equipment to last. Going slow until I get the feel seems good advice and people are stupid. When your plowing up to a curb and want to get the snow up and over, do you touch the curb and then lift or what? I don't want to be busting cyclinders due to stupid stuff and cost myself more money