1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie that needs advice.....

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Deanr, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Deanr

Deanr Junior Member

Hello all. I'm new to the forum I bought 160 acres in Alberta this past summer and this winter was my first experience with serious snow removal. I started by using a snowblower (took a long time) then I retrofitted a plow blade to my grizzly 700 (broke that....). This summer I will be building a driveway to our permanent location and my road to plow will go from 300 ft to 1800 ft. I need a better plan...... This property is purely for recreation so I don't want to break the bank but I also don't want to mess around plowing all weekend.

Here's what I've considered. Can you help me with the best option or other things to consider? FYI. We don't get massive snow dumps - 1-1.5 ft is a big one time snow fall and we get 6-8 ft per year in a big year. Big consideration is that whatever I get will be stored outside and will need to start in -35F weather without being plugged in.

- a better blade for my quad
    - a quad mounted snowblower - something in the range of 53" with a 23 hp motor
    - a tractor with a rear blade (think I'll need 4wd with > 50h)
    - a small tractor with a snowblower
    - an old beater truck with a blade
    - skid steer that I could one day mount a hydraulic snowblower to or just use the bucket

What do you think is my best option?

Thanks

Dean

2. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

You will need to maintain your whole property, therefore a tractor loader with a snowblower on the back would be the best for your property. If you want to use the property you bought to it's full potential without worrying about when you can get out there. You can use the tractor for many different things like firewood and maintaining the road if it is gravel.
    A large beater 4x4 truck would work also if it was set up right, however you still couldn't depend on it. As for starting in -35f I would definitely not want to be on a quad or tractor without a cab and heat.

3. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

go with the tractor with front mount snow blower...looks like you will be commuting to the site, hook up a coolant transfer couplers from the tractor to what you drive, using compatable coolant in both.....then warm the tractor with what you are driving, logger do this when working in winter and it works well,

4. speedy1wrc

speedy1wrc Senior Member

Through my progression of equipment, I've used one of just about everything. At those temps, whatever you get needs to be enclosed and heated. Whether a blade or a blower, when the wind like up you will hate being outside and will be wishing for a cab.

With 1 ft falling at once a blower will beat out a blade. Unless you want to be pushing off to the side every short distance and with possibly multiple pass's. With 1800 ft that could be ugh.

A CUT with a 48" blower on the front will get it done with one pass out and one pass back in. Something with either high 20' s - mid 30's in HP. That will have enough to shoot it out of your way. Four wheel drive with a cab. Avoid a rear blade or blower. Looking over by our shoulder especially with a cab blocking by our view is a pain for any great length. Plus a rear blade isn't high enough for that kind of pushing. I have a 6 ft back blade and I think it's only about 16" high.

You can find something like an old JD 750-850-950 with a cab and front blower for $5-10k. A beater truck with plow will cost you a lot less up front, and it will have a cab and heat, but I think a blower will work better for deep snow.

5. Urdum2

Urdum2 Member

Portable garage or permanent garage, Torpedo heater ( salamander) and a generator.......would help in the -35 degrees....I would do the tractor with a blower, then have a 4 wheeler up at the cabin to do clean up. And have fun with....

6. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

In the perfect world I would want the 50 hp 4 wd tractor with a cab and what the heck inverted blower. But we can not always afford what we want. Around here the price of tractors drops around the 40 hp mark, too many 5 acre lots wanting the old ford or otherwise small tractor. Cabs and heaters add to the price but will be well worth it in your situation. loaders are nice for stacking but not so much for clearing snow. Do not rule out tactical application of snow fence either for drifting, with proper placement it will keep literally tons of snow out of your way.

7. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

If you got the time I would buy an atv and put a plow on if all it is, is a driveway. With all those acres you can have some fun with the atv and then throw a plow on to do your driveway. Without seeing what it is like I couldn't tell you if it would take too long but I'd have some fun with it lol