1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie: Starting out small

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MiPlowRookie, May 26, 2014.

1. MiPlowRookie

MiPlowRookie Junior Member

I am looking at getting equipment to at first (get experience) work on our private road neighborhood. We have about 1500 feet of one lane road plus 6 double garage driveways and one long single lane (200 feet) with awkward 90 degree turn space by double car garage. Plus sidewalks (total of about 500 to 700 feet) etc. on slopes (in Michigan so not too hilly).

I am wondering as to the equipment that would be best to get started for servicing this type of area. All the houses are on a slope. I was looking at just getting a used F250 (buying a truck anyways) and finding a plow for it. Then after a year of experience I would consider branching out to neighborhood close by that are very similar. At that point I was looking at getting an ATV type plow set-up as my second piece of equipment.

I have three questions:
    1. Where do most people look for used plow equipment? I see some websites craigslist, equipmenttraderonline are there better sources etc.?
    2. For sidewalk work is an ATV just not too reliable? I see that most companies use a skid loader which seems more expensive to start and may not do as well in hilly areas?
    3. What would you recommend for servicing such an area when starting out?

Sorry for the rookie questions.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I would see if you could hook up with another company first to see if you even want to plow snow.Used plow equipment is tough ,you need to see if you can find something that was used for personal use,any type of commercial equipment is beaten to death.

3. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

You can apprentice learn from someone or make your own mistakes and start your own show, I run my show my way. As Grandview states used equipment from a pro will generally be beat to death chose carefully, the draw back to your situation is if someone get the foot in the door you are shut out something to figure out before you proceed, good luck.

4. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Buy a good used truck and brand new plow I paid 700 for my Tahoe and put a new boss on payment was a hundred a month. And once its on there u will be itching to be out 24 hrs in a storm making bank.