1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie starting out - few questions...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Scooter_092196, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Scooter_092196

Scooter_092196 Junior Member
    from 54115

Hey everyone. I have a couple quick questions. I picked up a part time snow plowing job this year plowing with someone elses equipment (most of which is beat to hell). I've been thinking about putting a plow on my truck for next year and picking up work as a sub or getting my own accounts or both. My question is, "would you have any concern about putting a plow on my truck?"

A little background on the truck in question. It is a 2004.5 Chevy Duramax LLY crew cab short box 4x4. I bought the truck 2 years ago with 93,500 miles. I changed out the front & rear differential fluid as well as the transfer case fluid along with the oil and filter when I bought it. The oil is changed religiously every 10,000 miles. The truck currently has 140,000 miles w/ synthetic. It is in great shape and runs like a champ.

What would need to be looked at if I do decide to go forward with installing a plow?

2. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Sounds like a nice truck to me. Duramax and the Allison are a very durable pair. If you have a plow put on it, have them tighten the torshen arms to lift the front end up a bit and have it lined up. Should be a nice setup!!!

3. Scooter_092196

from 54115

What would a decent plow to start out with?

4. zerolatency

zerolatency Member

with that truck the possibilities are pretty broad.....

if you want to go used it shouldn't be too hard to find a western 8' or something of the like, just don't go too cheap or you'll be paying for it down the road with downtime... this is definately something you can't afford especially if you have your own lots.

if you have the money to go new the first thing you want to look at is local dealership support, this is very important not only while you may be getting the kinks worked out of a new plow (if there is any ) and once the plow ages and you may need parts.

I went new but got a great price on a snowdogg, it has worked real well and for a little more than $1k less than a comparable western, if you have a local dealer check em out.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Get a Boss 8 1/2' V or the bigger Boss V

6. maxximus98

maxximus98 Member

This guy is just starting out and you want him to buy the most expensive plow out there. Its possible he wont last the year with little experience!! Stay in someone elses equip. learn how to plow and then after a few years then consider putting a plow on your truck!!! I hate that everyone thinks Hell I can put a plow on my truck and go make money!! I can buy a plane don't mean I know a hell of beans about flying!!!

7. gamberbull13

gamberbull13 Senior Member

Zeros right dealer support and parts availability are key. Snowdoggs are a little new for me tho but love my saltdogg. Also if your gonna be a sub gettin what the others have is good too for parts purposes in the feild and for their experience. I run Meyer but only Cuz every one else does and there is four dealers within half hour of my shop food for thought

8. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Many good used plows out there....save some $$$$$$$$$

9. zerolatency

zerolatency Member

I wholey agree (except for the snowdogg thing of cours), yes there is a place for v-plows and they are/can be very efficient, he probably isn't running one this year (based on the description of the equipment he is running) so might not be such a good idea to give him a recomendation to buy something more challanging to operate and more expensive to purchase and maintain.... there is nothing wrong with a straight blade...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  10. Scooter_092196

from 54115

Thanks everyone for the responses. I have a few years plowing experience from about 15 years back. Then this year I decided to get back into it. So far this year, I've operated a couple Western 7 1/2' straight blades and one boss V plow. This is my first time with a V but I didn't have any problems with it. I do plan on looking for something slightly used. I don't plan to go crazy with a ton of accounts right away. I'd like to ease into the business without going balls to the walls.

Again, thx for the responses and keep em rolling in.

11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I sure DIDN'T say NEW anywhere did I? :dizzy:
    Lots of used plows around if you look

12. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

if your subbing by the hour then get a straight blade, if your getting paid another way or doing your own get a vplow.. lol

13. maxximus98

maxximus98 Member

Isn't your subject line "NEWBIE starting out"?

14. Scooter_092196

from 54115

His isn't but mine is. I said newbie because I have never own or plowed for myself. Only used other guys equipment (junk)...

15. mjwinters

mjwinters Junior Member

hey, not to change the subject does anyone know how that works with the spouse driving company vehicles?