1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie Saying Hello

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Ramtuff Hemi, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Ramtuff Hemi

Ramtuff Hemi Junior Member

:waving:

I'm new to this site, but not to plowing snow. I've been subbing for a few years now and decided to branch out on my own. Just doing residential work for the time being. Just purchased a Snowdogg plow for my Ram 1500 to see how things go before spending any "big" money on equipment. Any advise from some of you seasoned guys?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Welcome.....:waving:

Seeing as you opened the door......

You subed for years, so you know what plowing is all about.
    What did you use for equipment when you subed?

So why didn't you spend big money from the get go?

Your truck and plow will be worth less next year if you intend to up grade.
    Or it could make a decent back up truck.

3. immortal.ben

immortal.ben Member

Welcome to the forum. I am pretty new here too. You will find some great advise and information here, but you will have to sift through a lot of obnoxious posts to find it.

My best advise is to grow slowly, which means on a cash basis.

4. Ramtuff Hemi

I subbed for a family friend (his truck with Fisher plow). I have had my Ram for 5 years now (personal vehicle), but just recently added the plow. I am going out on my own with no customer base at the moment, hence not wanting to spend big bucks out of the gate until I see if I can make a go of it. Thumbs Up

5. Ramtuff Hemi

Yep, I'm not a newbie to forums and how they work, you get those obnoxious posts on every one of them it seems. :D

Thanks for the advise, I'm starting out with nothing but my truck, a new plow, and a lot of ambition, we'll see how things work out. Thumbs Up

6. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Seems a bit late. With residential you may still have time to get some, but your route is going to be all over. By the time you can get advertising it will be December. I would sub again this year. Find a good company that pays their subs on time and pays well. Good luck. Welcome to the site!

7. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Hey welcome, we all started somewhere. Make yourself up a nice flyer with phone number cut outs on the bottom.
    Go to your local delies, sandwich shops, milk stores, whatever. They will usually let you post stuff. Put up an ad on Craigslist.
    Good luck and have at it. :waving:

8. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

This annoys me. If you were using his equipment and under his direction, you weren't a sub, you were an employee, and should have been treated and taxed as such.

Other than that, as others have stated, I think you're a bit late this year to line up a route. Make sure you have adequate insurance. This late in the season I think you would be just as far ahead to go around during a storm looking for drives that haven't been plowed yet.

9. immortal.ben

immortal.ben Member

I disagree that it is too late to get a full route. I had 1 commercial and 2 resi contractes two weeks ago. Two days after the first event, I had 3 commercial and 6 resi contracts. I am now full.

I agree that now is not the best time to be filling a route, but it IS possible. It may be a disjointed route all over the map, but better to have something than nothing. Some fliers and a lot of leg-work can get you a route to get you through this winter.

Sub if you need to, but not just because you are told it is too late to make a run of it. Get out there and get it done, man!

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I agree.
    But here he is.

Op
    If you hussel you could get a few stranglers.
    Or the folks who fire the guy in the macho truck who cranks stranglehold at 4am....

11. Ramtuff Hemi

Thanks for the advice from everyone so far, I'll post up some fliers and see what happens. To those of you who I annoyed, sorry it wasn't my intention, just trying to provide for my family rather than sitting home letting the government do it for me. Thumbs Up

I finally managed to save up enough money to purchase a plow of my own and figured I'd give it a shot, if it doesn't work out so be it, but at least I gave it a shot.

12. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

I am not annoyed at you. I'm annoyed at the person that you worked for calling you a sub when in fact you were not. It's because of jag offs like that that people that do things by the books can't afford to compete.

13. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Something other than getting work to think about

Bidding the job right. Based on your equipment, overhead and use-rates.
    PUT OUR 36 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE TO WORK FOR YOU!

Snow & Ice Management Bidding Package $129.95
    AND INCLUDES:
    #1 Snow & Ice Management Manual – this is a comprehensive manual covering all aspects of snow & ice management for both residential and commercial accounts. Also includes application rates for many different deicing materials both liquid and granular per 1,000 sq.ft., per acre, and lane mile.
    #2 Snow & Ice Management CD full of over 30 templates for contracts, route sheets, hours of operation sheets, Who’s first, proposal formats, don’t take the risk template for clients, sample invoices, sample marketing forms and much more. All these templates are in Microsoft Word format and you can customize them to your business.
    #3 Snow & Ice Management Quick Estimator CD – calculates per push, per event, hourly or season contracts. Also calculates material application rates for both granular and liquid applications for any deicing material that you may be using. This CD also calculates time and material for application of material, and hand labor as well. This CD runs in Microsoft Excel and is not software. You simply fill in the blanks and you have your estimate.
    Check it out at www.profitsareus.com home page and click on the snow link. IT'S AN INSTANT DOWNLOAD.