1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie saying hello

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by LeadSSled, Dec 28, 2011.

1. LeadSSled

LeadSSled Junior Member
    from East TN

Hello. I'm a newbie here and just bought my first plow from the classified section of this forum. We don't get too much snow in this part of the country but my driveway is 1/4 mile long and steep uphill both directions (crest of hill in the middle). I got tired of hand shoveling it - 4 times last year and a 5+ hour job of hard labor by hand. So I had been looking for a plow to eliminate this problem. If we get any measurable snow, I do plan to do a little "side work" plowing to help justify the investment. My cousin owns a pretty big lawn service here in town and I'm sure I could help some of his customers out under the umbrella of his insurance.

I've been doing a lot of reading here over the last week or so, so that I don't ask a bunch of stupid questions that have already been answered. So I just wanted to say hello and say that I'm grateful that there is so much good info on this site.

2. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I'd be sure about the insurance before you do any side work. He can list you as an additional insured on his policy, but that often only covers you when you're working on his specific accounts. Not to mention that his insurance company will likely be looking to yours in the event something happens.

3. LeadSSled

LeadSSled Junior Member
    from East TN

Yes, I hear you. I take liability/insurance seriously and will certainly check that out before doing anything. My thought was for him to make me more of a temporary employee - client pays him, he pays me. But will check that out before doing anything. I do already carry a $1 million personal liability umbrella insurance policy rider as part of my homeowner's policy, so that should help to. Thanks for the advice.

4. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

5. LeadSSled

LeadSSled Junior Member
    from East TN

Thanks, Eric! I will look through that thread carefully.