1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

newbie questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tjcezar, Nov 16, 2003.

1. tjcezar

tjcezar Member

This is my first year plowing and I need help with how to arrange my estimates and how to go about performing services. When people call me for an estimate they want me to give them a price but obviously the price will be different with a 3" and a 10" snowfall. Should I just give a price say up to 8"(1 push) then anything over that same price X2(2 pushes)up to say 12". How much is too much to push at one time. I just bought an 86 chevy 4wd dump with 8' fisher plow in excellent condition wich is gonna work great for my large commercial account. I just wanna know how to keep up with the snow and how to schedule servicing my accounts. I here some of you guys talking about trigger depth and was wondering if you have a trigger depth of say 3" and the storm expects 6" wouldn't you just wat till the end of the storm? Thanks for any help and I am sure I'll have some more questions after you respones.

2. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Welcome aboard. Most use a trigger between 1-2", depends on the account. Hospitals and clinics like to clear at any depth, factories and parking lots can get by at 2" . You'll find that while that rig will push a lot of snow, (I love Fishers) you'll probably want to break at 6" just to keep from overloading. Then charge by the increment on the way up. If you use the search function of this site you'll find tons of info on these subjects. Alot of great people who have provided tons of info for the archives.
    Keep posting and learn, learn, learn.
    Scott

3. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I have spent the past several weeks reading through this site, there are litterly 100 posts on this very question. As a matter of fact I have printed most of them out. Try the search at the top and punch in "contracts", you'll be amazed at the amount of responces you'll get.

Best of luck to ya !!:)

4. tjcezar

tjcezar Member

thanks guys! I did do a bunch of searches and really found alot of great info (was reading for a couple of hours) but what happens is i hear so many different things and get confused.:confused: plowing every 6" (is that what you mean) sounds good and i guess makes sense. I'm really trying to figure out how many accounts i will be able to service by myself and a shoveler without over doing it but I guess that would also depend on the storm and the amount of snowfall. So far though this site has really been a great source of information!:D