1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by acresmax, Nov 19, 2011.

1. acresmax

acresmax Junior Member
    from Ontario

I have 07 GMC 2500HD RCLB Duramax. Truck has factory plow prep. Running 285's. I am planning on buying new western 8.5 mvp. I have a few questions about this combo.
    1 Will my tires clear with plow installed? I have already done a little trimming and there is no rubbing now.
    2 Will I have to trim lower bumper (valance) to clear the western plow mount? There is no trimming on the GMC in westerns promo adds. But Western dealer says probably.
    3 What exactly does the plow prep include? I have been given many partial answers from the GM dealer, but not a definite list.
    4 Should I be installing timbrens?
    5 Door sticker says 4500 lb FAWR. I was hoping for 4800 with plow prep. Will I be over weight on my front axle? Plow is rated at 880 plus mount.
    6 I am planning on installing gussets behind upper control arms. Is there anyone who is making these in Ontario, Canada? Or willing to ship? Curious on cost as well. I know B B on this forum sells them but I doubt I can PM yet as this is my first post.

Thanks for the help everyone. Feel free to add advice as well if you feel I have missed anything. I am pretty new to this.
  2. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Try the search thread for all your questions it should help alot, Welcome to plow site!
  3. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

1.Yes your tires will clear I have 285s on my truck with an 8 foot fisher and they only rub on the front valance when turning while backing up and the valance has never been trimmed.
    2.I've never seen a chevy,gmc without a valance thats not cut for a fisher plow.
    3.upgraded T-bars (dependent on cab configuration),
    145 amp alternator
    Provisions for a roof mounted light beacon (dash switch and related wiring leads)
    upgraded cooling fan clutch.
    4.You can install timbrens.I've heard of guys putting timbrens in to keep the truck from sagging,and other guys putting a leveling kit that levels the truck out and lifts the front end 2"
    5.The truck should be able to handle the plow.
    6.I'm not sure about the gussetts.
  4. acresmax

acresmax Junior Member
    from Ontario

Chevyzrule, thanks for your help. That dash button seems to control the cargo light on my truck. I find it stange that there isn't another one. Which cab configuration gets the upgraded T bars?
    Still hoping someone can give me a lead on gussets up here in Ontario.
  5. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Is it the classic 07? If so you will probably have to trim some. On my 08 with the new body style I didn't have to trim the lower valance at all.
  6. acresmax

acresmax Junior Member
    from Ontario

Ya, it's the classic. Is there anyone who sells timbrens in Ontario?
  7. acresmax

acresmax Junior Member
    from Ontario

For those who search these questions down the road. I have just installed a new Western 8.5 MVP Plus.
    My truck sagged a full 3 inches (measured at the bottom of plow mount) with the plow lifted. Only 4 1/2 inches off the ground.
    My 285's rubbed drivers side inner wheel well where brake lines are behind liner.
    Cranked torsion bars and new alignment lifted front end 2 1/2 inches (measured same place) with plow off. With plow up front end is 1/2 inch lower than stock So it still sags 3 inches but now have 7 inches of ground clearance.
    I did not have to cut the valance to install the western ultramount.
    Hope this helps.