1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

newbie questions

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by garyg, Nov 2, 2010.

1. garyg

garyg Junior Member

I'm looking in buying my first plow. found a Western 8' straight blade complete set up with a truck mount for chevy 2500. I currently have a chevy 1500. is this too much plow? i checked the western site and the difference in weight is 15 lbs. what do you guys think?
  2. blue sky guy

blue sky guy Junior Member

You need a 2500HD. If you want to try plowing with a 1500- need to get heavy front coil springs. good luck.
  3. deereequipment

deereequipment Member

check with a Western dealer to make sure, but that is probably too much plow (too much weight on your front end, on your suspension, for your cooling system, and for your transmission to push).

Is it really worth tearing up your truck?
  4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Why are you guys so affraid of 1/2 tons? Had 7 of them, all ran 8' fronts, 6 ran 7.5 back blades and they all were shortboxes and 4 had the v-6. The last survivng one was bought new in 88 and plowed for 18 years. Same motor, same trans and one rear end under warranty. Couple of sets of shocks, half shafts once.

Lets go back to the 60's or 70's where all you could get was a 1/2 ton with a straight 6 to plow snow.