1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NEWBIE Question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bullettooth81, Feb 9, 2010.

1. bullettooth81

bullettooth81 Senior Member

Ok, I have a neighbor who isn't much of a friend (or good neighbor) text me this morning and ask to plow his driveway (residential three car wide/three car deep). I think I already know the answer, but do I charge? Do I give him a price break? This is the first time he has actually asked me to plow his driveway.

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

A good opportunity to
    1 ) make money
    2) help make a friendship
    3) A little of both
  3. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

A little story for ya. My neighbor lives on a hill like mine and shovels when it snows. When there is a heavy wet snow I plowed his drive a couple times for him. Or I would just do what the plows push on the bottom and move the heavy stuff for him. This past fall I was gone for a weekend and came home to all my leaves cleared from my lawn. I was like how? I found out my neighbor who I helped in the winter spend about 4 hours on a saturday doing my leaves? No money exchanged hands but what went around came around. It was good Kharma all around.
  4. bullettooth81

I agree with you Whole Heartidly! I have neighbors like that, very down to earth good people who would bend over backwards for me. I do their drives at no charge, but get things in return. Beer, meals, etc.

A little more background. To put it simply, these neighbors are in their late 30's have NO shortage of money (expensive vehicles and nice toys), Never invite my wife and I to their parties, do not wave to us or acknowledge our existance. When I first moved in he had a plow on his ATV. He NEVER once helped, even when I asked b/c I had a section of my driveway that was gravel (not paved yet) and he didn't want to push the rocks around. My 'good' neighbor and I helped shovel eachothers drives. When I got the plow I plowed my 'good' neighbor's drive without question or pay. The 'snooty' neighbor in question has since gotten rid of his ATV/plow for an Arctic Cat Prowler (no plow).

After his purchase of the new toy w/o plow, I told him I could plow his drive since he has gotten rid of his plow. His response, "I won't be paying anyone to move snow out of my driveway".
  5. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

In that case I would tell him you are too busy. Sounds like a bad neighbor. But then again you have to break the ice somewhere. I dunno, your call.
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Stay away. Tell him your route is full.

If you plow it, make sure your insurance is paid up.....
  7. bullettooth81

Too late, I already did it! At least I can learn from my mistakes. Plus I'm going to be moving a state away in 3 weeks, so making friends is not an option or something I need to try and 're-kindle' at this point.
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

hope you got paid...WELL