1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by billyb22, Nov 30, 2009.

1. billyb22

billyb22 Junior Member

I just purchased a 2008 Ultra Mount poly 7'6".
    I plan to install on my 2002 Yukon 1500 for 2 residential drives.
    Is there any reason I can't install this myself? Shop wants $400 plus, if and when I find a mount is there any specialty tools needed to bolt to the truck? I am mechanically inclined and currently run a S10 Blazer with a Meyer TM on it.
    The wiring looks pretty straight forward - plug and play, plus I can read schematics.
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks Guys.
  2. maxximus98

maxximus98 Member

Western install

There is no reason why you can't install this yourself!!! As long as you dont "baby" your truck. it may involve drilling holes in your frame. Also give yourself plenty of time for install a beginner can easily take a couple days to do this!!
  3. billyb22

billyb22 Junior Member

Thanks for the boost of confidence.
    A guy was telling me today that it might not fit my truck, but the Western website gives the part numbers for the mount...and harness...
    I just need to find a good used truck mount #67960-1 and I think I'll give it a go!
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Installing thew mount isn't bad. Need to drill two 9/16" holes in the bottom of the frame and either remove entirely or chop up the air dam but otherwise nothing tough about it.

The mount will take you less time than the wiring will. Is the wiring new or was it previously installed on another truck?
  5. billyb22

billyb22 Junior Member

I have all the stuff from the other truck - looks very complete - which I was told was a Dodge.
    The car dealership had it removed by the local Western Dealer and the put it all in a nice little box. I plan to save the main power harness and solenoid. Since the headlight harness won't work with my headlights and DLR's, I will have to purchase a new harness, which is OK by me. Although the plow and everything I got looks like new - I just can't believe the price on the mount. I'm hoping to sell the mount I got with it to make back a little towards the one I need. Oh, I also need a new 3 port module, the one I have is not the correct part number. I also have the handheld controller from the original set up. No books or owners manuals, but I found them on the Western website.
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you've done your homework. Get the right Iso, adapters, mount and a good drill and enjoy. :drinkup:
  7. billyb22

billyb22 Junior Member

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
    This is my driver and I don't want anything cobbled together under the hood, especially wiring. Plus being an electrician, I can't stand to see a rats nest of wires anywhere.
    I've got a want ad posted for the mount and I threw in the module part number just in case... but will most likely pick up a new one to be safe.
    Thanks again.