1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by axe124, Feb 19, 2016.

1. axe124

axe124 Junior Member

Hello all...new to the plowing industry and looking for opinions. I just bought a 2009 Silverado 2500hd, and it came with a Boss (7'6") plow. The issue is that the plow is so heavy that I bottom out a lot even on smaller dips in the road. Not the blade, but the unit that is mounted under neath the truck. Went to a local shop today to ask about a leveling kit for the front. They want $500 for an adjustable front end lift. Or...should I look into a lighter plow?

Any suggestion? Thanks in advance.

Scott

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Are you useing counter weight?
    How high is the mount (truck side) from the ground,
    It should be close to 15" to the ground.
    Add any air to the front tires becuse of the added weight .
    (Tire squish)
    What Load range are your tires?

if your going to spend any amount in this industry,
    It's best to learn how to do a lot of the repair work yourself.

Good luck

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  3. plowin boy

plowin boy Member

I have an 09 Chevy 2500 crew cab with an 8' boss with wings with no issues at all. I always have counterweight in the bed but have driven it without weight with no problems either. I also have added front timbrens which help quite a bit. I'd check everything snofarmer said and go from there

4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Post some pics with the plow on and up.

5. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

7.6 shouldn't be an issue. A guy I used to work with had an 05 (I think) 2500hd with an 8' v plow with wings and it didn't sag that bad. Just a guess, but you probably don't have weight in the back.

6. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I have a 2009 Silverado 2500HD with a Boss 8'2" V plow. I need weight in the back end to keep the front up. I also cranked the torsion bars up an inch in front end ride height. I would start with 700 pounds of ballast behind the rear wheels and go from their. Also keep your front end tire pressure up.

7. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

Something does not sound quite right with either the mount or suspension. I have a 2005 3/4 Chevy with 8' Fisher with no significant sag or issues going down the road. Front end is stock with the torsion bars only turned up slightly by the dealer. I rarely use weight in the bed.

8. axe124

axe124 Junior Member

Thanks for all of the replies...some great info given. No, I do not have counterweight in the rear...not very much bad weather since I got the truck. I will check all of the items as posted. I also will post some pics tomorrow when it is daylight. Thanks for everyone's input.

Scott