1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

newbie question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Lucfw, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

What do you drive the truck in when you are plowing 4X4 or 4X2? and what about when you are driving around with the plow. I think that 4X4 would be better, but just wondering. Is there such a thing as all time 4X4? where its in 4X4all the time, no switching out?. Also for the airbags do you shut them off, take them out or what? thanks alot

2. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

I plow most of the time in 2 wheel drive. Very rarely does it go in 4 wheel drive.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

depends on the road conditions. if I need 4 wheel drive then I use it. I run 2WD as much as possible tho
    I leave the airbag on because nobody rides with me

4. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

Makes sense but would it have more of a chance of going off while plowing (hitting curd,ect)?thanks

5. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I only us 4wd when needed for plowing, ice under the snow or heavy wet snow and the wheels start spinning, you don't want your wheels spinning or you will break something, axels, drive shafts,
    4wd helps the truck go it does nothing for stopping your truck, the snow in front of your plow will slow you down and stop you but thats what your brakes are for, you don't need to plow a lot at 40 mph to be fast, plow smart not fast.

6. Kouski

Kouski Junior Member

When you're plowing, you typically do a lot of tight turning. If your truck is in 4x4, not all four tires will be spinning at the same speed when you're turning tight. Something has to give. Typically, when you're plowing, the ground is somewhat slick and the tires can skid a little bit. If you're in a wet heavy snow, however, tight turning in 4x4 will put a lot of strain on the front differential. That's too much load placed on the gears inside the front diff and they WILL break. I'm only running a half ton truck, so I'm a little more prone to this than others. If you don't need it, don't use it. If you're driving so fast that you're sliding around, you might want to reassess your plowing methods!

7. hydro_37

from iowa

the airbags should not go off when plowing

8. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

That is trure i get it now, i dont drive fast when plowing (dont want to hurt me, my truck , my plow, and my wallet)lol i see about the turning and the tires now. i never thought about it that way. thanks alot, well appretated.

9. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i always plow in 4x4 and i switch to 2 wheel drive for driving between accounts unless the roads are bad

10. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

X2. I don't understand how you can push snow in 2wd. The 4x4 actuator went out on me during a 2" snow fall and I couldnt take it, spinning everywhere. I was able to finish but it was a PITA. I should add that I don't run any balast weight. I know that is key but still.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  11. 89Comanche

89Comanche Member

Typically I'm in 2wd, unless the roads are terrible. That being said..I still need to adjust the shift linkage on my truck so I am stuck in 4x4 for the time being. I can already hear the hubs clacking.

12. dynamic

dynamic Junior Member

x2 Thumbs Up

13. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

Wow i thought tottally differnt than that, thanks all it reall helps, its appreceated

14. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

4x4 in snow, 4x2 when not in snow. I've plowed in 2wd before, if the conditions are right. Carry lots of weight. I carry bags of salt, but I've seen guys with concrete blocks, sand bags, I've seen twice this year guys with probably a cord of firewood...doesn't leave much room for shovels and all the other crap I keep back there, and use every storm

15. dyllan78

dyllan78 Member

Do you plow in regular drive? i thought you suppose to pop it in first gear if the snow get a little heavier.

16. hydro_37

from iowa

plow in drive

17. dyllan78

dyllan78 Member

Do u think I did any damage to the truck by driving it in 1st gear. How come some people do that? My bad if I sound stupid I'm just trying to get it right.

18. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

your probably ok, as long as you didn't drive too fast

19. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

i have also herd some people saying to plow in 1st too. thanks alot guys i am learning alot!

20. kingf350

kingf350 Junior Member

i use 4x2 most the time but if i need the 4x4 then that is when i use it. My truck is a 5 speed and i use 1,2,3 no higher than 3. Depending on your plow if u are using shoes and how high or low they are set at. Watch what you are plowing over like on roads you have pot holes, drains. in parking lot you got drains, cement blocks, speed bumps stuff like that. I found out the hard way last year....Wasnt paying any attention and i broke the plow off the hingies and cracked blade.