1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie question...

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by nick_snonomo, Jan 21, 2011.

1. nick_snonomo

nick_snonomo Junior Member

Hey Folks,

I have a Western straight blade, however, and this may sound dumb, how do I find out what model it is? I can't find a serial number on it, and there are no stickers saying what model it is.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance :)

2. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

If you throw up a picture I am sure someone would be able to tell you.

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

if the plow has 4 springs and a shock absorber it is a pro plow. if it has 2 or 3 springs it is a standard duty.

a pic would help.:salute:

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

It usually says something on the back side of the blade. Pro plow, HTS, Heavy weight etc... How old do you thing it is? Does it have pins to mount it to the vehicle or the Ultramount quick connect system? Is the lift ram cast in one piece with the motor & pump assembly or is the ram seperate? I agree that a photo would make id easy.

5. nick_snonomo

I'll try and get a pic up today of it. It has four springs, and unimount stickers on the lift. It also has a shock absorber when the blade trips. After donig a little research on Western's site I believe it is a 8' Pro. I will get some pics up...

Thanks guys

6. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Sound like you have a 9' steel pro plow with 4 trip springs

steel.jpg

steel.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  7. mishnick

If it has four trip springs and only one shock absorber it is a pro, if it has two shocks it is a pro plus.

8. nick_snonomo

Thanks guys! I believe you are correct

9. nick_snonomo

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies, I finally got some pictures and am trying to upload them so hopefully it works...

P1220652.jpg

P1220655.jpg

P1220653.jpg

10. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

that is a pro plow.

11. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

hmmm my pro plow only has three spring :(

12. mishnick

This looks to me like a pro plow series 1. Definately an isarmatice unimount. There is a serial number sticker in the photo just below the motor on the aluminum casting. If you take that to a dealer they should be able to tell you more with that number.

This plow is nutorious for the pivot point wearing out. They also are bad for bending the quadrant and a frames. Lots of these get sold at auctions "complete with mount and wiring".. The people who buy them get a big suprise with they bring them for installation only to find that the mount and wiring are not universal but vehicle specific. A couple hundred bucks soon turn into more than a thousand for the mount and harnesses.