1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

newbie question regarding which truck to buy

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by hiii98, Sep 17, 2008.

1. hiii98

hiii98 Member

I have about $6,000 to spend and wanted to get my feet wet in the snow plowing industry.

I am looking at buying a 1999 dodge dakota with a plow on it for only 4400 or i can buy a dodge ram 2500 without a plow on it for 5000 (maybe 4500). both trucks are 4x4. I know plows are super expensive and from speaking with my mechanic brother they sound like a pain in the butt to install... Can i get away with the dakota btw it has a 7ft western plow on it.... or will it be good only for small driveways? I believe the Dakota is a 1/2 ton (which surprised my brother wheni told him).

I want to stay around my budget of 6k no matter what decision i make. I'm buying one of the two trucks today and your experience and input would be appreciated!

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

For small driveway the dacota will be a litle large. good for medeum drives and small lots. Biger lots youl want a 3/4 ton truck.

3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

get a 3/4 ton truck,,,,youll be wishing you had if you dont

4. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

i agree a dakota will be good to plow your own lot but to do parking lots you will be wishing you had a bigger one... and you would be wishing you didnt have a 7' western jmo

welcome to plowsite! :waving:

5. hiii98

hiii98 Member

thanks guys for the advice. I think i'll go with the 2500 ram! I agree with the statements that i'd be wishing i got the 3/4 ton somewhere down the line!

Thanks again

6. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Good choice. You should post some pics after you buy it.

7. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro Senior Member

The Dakota is NOT a 1/2 ton truck. It is a mid-sized truck...right between the mini's (S-10, ranger) and the 1/2 tons. They have weaker rear ends and front diffs as well as brakes and suspension compared to 1/2 tons. You will be much better off getting the Ram 2500.

8. hikeradk

hikeradk Senior Member

2500 Ram

I had a Dakota before I upsized to the 2500. You would destroy the Dakota. Just look at the front suspension on the 2500. Why limit yourself when you can do a lot with the 2500. Good choice!

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What year is the 2500?

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The Dodge's have been known for their weak trannys when plowing. JMO

11. hiii98

hiii98 Member

bought a 1999 dodge ram 2500. It is slightly lifted and has wide aggressive tires.

[​IMG]

12. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

good choice on the 2500, much better for the heavier snow as well as its a stronger truck overall. just some advise, wide stires suck in the heavy snow. i love my 2500, i plow in 2wd and never have a problem

13. hiii98

hiii98 Member

Got it for $4,000 and just had ball ball joints...which honestly are not that fun to replace.

14. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

congrats on the truck. looks nice!
    good choice. :)

15. hiii98

hiii98 Member

whoo hoo! :) where on the board can I go to look for advice on how to score new accounts? I'd like to probably buy a new plow next and start planning for new clients to plow for this winter.. not sure what the best way to go about landing new accounts is.

Thanks for all the advice and happy with the truck

16. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like you and GoldPro can plow together now with matching Dodges!