1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie Question Please Help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by moosehead, Sep 21, 2003.

1. moosehead

moosehead Member

Hey guys i just joined and had a quick question and figured you guys would be the best to ask. I was just at a auction in Rhode Island and was out bid on a 6.5 foot Fisher that was completely hooked up and ready to go. I stopped bidding at 1200 and lost the item. The next item was a fairly new 6.5 meyer set complete. It was the last plow they had so i figured i would bid on it. I ended up winning at 1000 even. I also won 2 6.5 foot meyer cutting edges for 15 a piece and a awsome A frame with a fisher pump with controls. I paid for the plow and all its parts and it got loaded on my truck (97 dakota sport 5.2 v8) and i headed home. When i got home i started to change the cutting edge and dropped it when i was on my last bolt. It scratched the yellow off the plow and was white underneath. Im assuming this is a 6.5 poly meyer. I have a few stupid questions

1st- I thought poly blades were not supposed to chip etc? why was it white underneath the yellow coat?

2nd- Are these poly blades replaceable and if yes how much do they cost? Do they sell white ones and yellow?

3rd- Is this damn thing gonna snap in half when the first storm comes cause it seems pretty damn weak if you ask me?

4th- The fisher pump i bought is alot better then the one that came with the meyer set. Could i run a fisher pump with controls with a meyer setup? if yes would i be able to get longer hydrolic wiring and mount it in the back of my truck or is that impossible?If yes what would i put in the A frame where the old pump used to be?

Thanks for your help guys. I just got home late last night and was having 2nd thoughts and was thinking that i should have bid higher on the fisher.

2. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

You have to remember that since you are using a Dakota, you will have to use alight plow. Prob a poly plow of some sort. As far as the chipping, I don't really understand why they chip so easily. My western is pretty chipped up. It has a baked enamel finish that is supposed to be way different than paint, but it chips right up like it is cheap paint.

3. Santo

Santo Banned

#1 A poly plow has a plastic moldboard only

#2 Poly plows do not get painted.

#3 Send pictures (if poss.)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2003
  4. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I always thought meyers poly plows were built with a little more support .How heavy of a plow do you wanna put on a dakota?

5. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

get a magnet if it sticks its metal
    if not its poly

cardoctor:nod:

6. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

you can tell if it a poly by the moldboard being bolted on not welded. and as far as i know i was under the impression that poly plows weighed more then steel.

7. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

My Western poly plow weighs less than the same size steel.(not by much) but I can't speak for the other companies.

8. Santo

Santo Banned

8.5 meyer steel vs. 8.5 meyers poly

Poly weighs 43 lbs. more .......woopeee

9. moosehead

moosehead Member

?

no theres no doubt in my mind its poly. im just curious why it peels so easily? Why wouldnt meyer make yellow poly instead of white with some sort of enamel over it that peals off?

Im gonna try and get a picture or two up

Also im still waiting on a response if i can mount my fisher pump in the back of my truck and what part i need to put in the A-Frame cause ill be replacing the meyer pump

thanks guys

10. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I've always thought one point of habving a poly blade was it never needed painting, the moldboard was molded in color. This is the first I've heard of one being painted.

11. Santo

Santo Banned

Moose, What are the odds of that Meyer clevis kit fitting that dakota? Old style or new? There are (2) types of new MDII & E-Z MOUNT.

Pumps are $1200new so your ahead.
    6.5' Moldboard Assy $900 Poly add $350
    6.5' cutting edge $65 ea.
    Lift frame $300

12. moosehead

moosehead Member

thanks santo. check out my pics and tell me what you think. IM still waiting for an answer in regards to the pump? Can i mount it in the back of the truck??

untitled.jpg

13. CARDOCTOR

fisher snowplow?
    doesnt look like meyer or western

cardoctor

14. moosehead

moosehead Member

heres the scratches

sc.jpg

15. phillyplowking1

Can you post a pic of the rest of the plow?

16. CARDOCTOR

i think that white paint is really primer

cardoctor

17. moosehead

moosehead Member

yea thats a fisher set. I got the A piece and pump for 150 bucks. No one wanted to bid so i figured why not. I was actually gonna buy a refurbished 6.5 metal meyer and use that fisher pump but i thought that the other setup for 1000 was a steal. You guys tell me what you think. santo thats not easy mount so i figure its a MD II

plow.jpg

18. phillyplowking1

You got a good deal on the mdII.Maybe meyers paints the 6.5' polys??Never seen anything like it.

19. moosehead

moosehead Member

so you think that the auction i got it at put on a fake plastic or something?? Will i be able to use that fisher pump on the meyer setup. The meyer pump that came with the setup i hear aint so good so i was curious if i could mount the fisher one in the back of my truck.

20. moosehead

moosehead Member

I also one a pair of new meyer lights. i put on the fisher light cause i like them better but if anyone is interested in the meyer lights give me a pm