1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

newbie question on driving....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by pwrjnky, Oct 20, 2009.

1. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

4 years back I had a boss v-plow. When I drove around, it was generally in the v- position since it made it smaller and there was less wind resistance. Now.....with my straight blade that I just purchased, do you have your blade raised straight up in front of you when driving down the road? Or do you keep it on a slight angle for less wind resistance? Thanks in advance
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I think what you need to do is get your wife out front of the plow and put it in different angles and take pictures of her and the plow!

After that you can keep it in any position just keep an eye on the temp.
  3. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

LMAO!!!!! She said no pics! She's pregnant and due next Thursday. If I go near her with a camera right now....It will get broken!
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The answer is --- It depends.

Some truck/plow combinations are suited to angling the plow. Some do better if you lower the plow. Some (like my '06 2500HD 6.0) recommend carrying it straight and specifically state not to angle it. It sounds goofy, but I tried angling like I had with other plows and the temp started climbing almost immediately. Put it back straight and temp went back to normal.

Try checking your owner's manual. If not there, try different positions and see what works best.
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

We had an old Chevy truck that would overheat so we changed out the clutch fan and put a bolt on fan ,kept it cool after that.
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I always used to carry my straight blade angled to the left. A couple of reasons why. If the plow fell, I would be more likely to be pulled to the ditch, so only I would get hurt. If I had a slight head on, hopefully we we deflect to the sides. And cornering is much easier angled this way. Right hand turns are much easier, and you always have plenty of room to swing wide when making a left.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Makes no difference on whick was you sngle the blade going down the street.