1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie Pricing Questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Cobra1832, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Cobra1832

Cobra1832 Junior Member
    from Ma

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some pricing guidance here in Ma. This is not for commercial purposes as I will be plowing a private road that I share with a single neighbor. Since we are the only 2 houses on the road and the town will not plow it I decided to by a plow (Fisher RD 7.5 with Fish Stik) and take matters into my own hands. My dilemma comes when I try to figure out what to charge my neighbor for his portion (1/2 of road). The road is new, straight, close to 500 feet long, and 18 feet wide. I will also be plowing his driveway which is about 13 feet wide and 300 feet long with a turn around at the end. I am not so much looking to make a profit on this as I am just looking to cover some of my expenses.

What are these worth (1/2 of the road and his driveway)? Is it per storm or per plow?

Being new to this I appreciate your time and advice, thanks.

Mike :help:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2004
  2. butters

butters Member

II share a private road with my neighbor as well. I am 1000' down and she is around 500' down the road so I too am interested in what to charge.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

It looks like your neighbor's drive is about the same as the road, given the turn around at the end. You would take more time to do the drive than the road even though the road is about 1/2 again as wide and 1/2 again as long as the drive. I think I'd charge around $45-$50 for each. So 1/2 the road would be, say, $25. With the drive, she'd owe you around $75. This would be per push at around 3"-6". Also, this isn't taking into account that prices, in general, may be higher in your area than here. (the following is since you appear new to plowing) Also, I'm not taking into account any possible obstacles, special conditions or anything like that. Just drop the plow at the start, windrow to the end, turn around and windrow back etc. with a 7.5' plow fully angled on an 18' road; it'll take four passes. Start in the middle, pushing to one side or the other, then come back, pushing off to the side. Repeat for the other side. Don't let the snow build up (preferably plow at about 4") or that second pass with wet/heavy snow will kill your truck.

4. Cobra1832

Cobra1832 Junior Member
    from Ma

Thanks Mick,

I appreciate your input, especially on how to properly plow the road. The good news is there really are no object to watch out for not to mention because I live on the road I know it pretty well.

Mike

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If this is a very open road with open fields you will not want to windrow to the side that the wind is coming from. This will act as a snow fence and fill the driveway in. We do a golf course where we push everything south. If you push it north it will turn a 4" snowfall into 2' across the driveway. Just a little info from my past mistakes.

6. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Cobra, hello from Middleboro.
    You can't go wrong listening to Mick, but like he said if there are other conditions/obstacles you didn't mention that makes the price go up. I also hope you worked all this out with your neighbor before you decided to buy the plow. It would be a lousy situation if this person felt that they shouldn't pay their share because you'd be "plowing the road anyway". Some people can be asses like that, hope that's not your situation. I also think you should factor in wear and tear on your vehicle in your price as this neighbor is going to get all the benefits with none of the risks and to me that means they should payup their fair share.

Also, here is a link to Boss' plow site. It's a great little section with information for anyone new to plowing, regardless of what brand blade you have. It should be of help to you. http://www.bossplow.com/plow_tips/straight.asp
    Good luck! :waving:

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I agree with cet here. I usually don't think of this because where I live all private roads are tree lined (cut into forests) and we don't get drifting which I was used to in the midwest. Between keeping the banks pushed back and going fast enough to "throw" the snow over the windrow, the roads stay pretty clear.